Chapter 18

Todoroki POV

"So how long do you have to be gone for this press conference?" I asked my father with an annoyed look. The old man is off to New York for a few days or so, and he's putting me in charge of the place while he's gone. He grabbed the last of his suitcases and closed the trunk door.

"It's only gonna be for two weeks. Plus, this would be the perfect opportunity for you to run the science center while I'm away."

"Right...". Wish it were two months instead. My father walked to the passenger side and closed the door.

"Just don't mess this up, you know the real reason why I'm putting you in charge instead of my assistant."

"You still don't trust Tomura, and you want me to see how loyal he is to his boss, I know, I know."

He puts on his sunglasses and rolls up the window to the car. And I watched as the car goes away, getting smaller and smaller from the distance. I could care less about being boss, but ever since he fired Bakugo, he's been more vigilant than ever. With Shigaraki taking over the merman research, I can see why he's taking extra precautions.

So, all I have to do while he's away is check on everyone's research, attend a few meetings and take notes for him, just regular check in's. This is going to be boring. I sighed to myself and headed back inside the building with the agenda in my hand.

"Oh! Mr. Todo-"

"Shoto. It's just Shoto."

"Right, sorry! Anyway, you have a ten o'clock meeting about which programs to cut off. The company has been using lots of money on some-"

"How are we wasting money? Everyone has an amount of money with what we research! Who's been spending all our money?!" I yelled at the girl behind the desk. She frantically looked around the desk and took some paper off a clipboard.

"H-He said that with this amount of money, they could get the research they need..." she stuttered as I snatched the paper from her. This is ridiculous? It's only been a week or two since...

Don't tell me he's-

"Cancel the meeting! I need to deal with this myself!" My hand threw the paper out of my hand as I hurriedly ran over to the elevator. I pressed the elevator button many times to get me to where I need to be. Come on hurry up! My foot tapped rapidly on the floor while the elevator goes up.

Ding! When the elevator door finally opened, there were a crowd of reporters swarming the place. Flashing cameras, microphones being shoved to my face.

"Sir! With Endeavor away, do you think we can catch a glimpse of the merman?"

"What will you be doing once your father retires?"

"Can you please let us see-"

"Enough! No one is seeing him! This is classified information! Now get out of here before I call security!" I said as I made it to the lab and shut the doors and locked it. These damn reporters. Can't they just leave people alone? I hope Bakugo isn't having to deal with them. Now, to get to the bottom of this.

"Todoroki! What're you doing here?" Tsu? I walked over to Tsu and catched my breath. "You're not supposed to be checking until the afternoon, what brings you here?"

"I'm just here to ask some questions about your research." I answered as I ruffled away the supposed wrinkles on my dress shirt.

"You mean Tomura's? He said he needed more equipment for him. Though, I can take you to see him, but you're not gonna like what he's been doing." What does she mean? I followed Tsu into the lab and looked around at all the papers on the floor, dried fish, and water everywhere. I could see a bright blue light as we walked closer to it.