Chapter Thirty

30
•••

Had the following night of the invasion be like any ordinary night of consuming thoughts and overwhelming emotions, you would have had a hard time falling asleep. But burnt out to complete exhaustion after the day of stacking books upon books and hearing left and right from Suho's reports of the media and the media themselves on the radio, your mind was knocked out cold once your back hit the fresh sheets. You didn't spend a second longer replaying the news, The sacred ground of the Royal Park family has been compromised, Rebels of the provincial towns retreat back to their territory after gravely trespassing the palace, Southern Marcadia has silenced themselves after last night's invasion on the royal family, but demands for the impeachment of the King still linger in the air, King Park is expected to address the nation tomorrow morning in light of the recent attacks on the royal palace and the Princesses' upcoming coronation ceremony.

You managed to get a word with your father before going to bed. Toward the end of your dinner for one, his sturdy built grown tired and sluggish, walked in the dining room and sat with you. From the under eyes and the droop of his shoulders, you knew your father was spent. But as he filled you in on the latest discussions with the council, your father tried to keep his gentle smile spread on his face even if it took more effort than needed. Even if the rest of his entirety was shattered to say he shouldn't be at the coronation.

"Where else would you be?" you asked, your throat closing in in the mere seconds you wondered if this was him walking out of your life again- you've just got him back, you thought.

"Outrage, would be an understatement for the sentiments held against me by our people" he said, and you saw the fire and smoke rush through his head in the brief pause, "There are severe threats upon me, Roseanne. I worry that any place I am to show up would be at the risk of danger. There will be thousands of people sitting in the abbey for the coronation and my presence may put their lives in jeopardy- I cannot take any chances for yours." he said seriously, took your hand and squeezed, "Though, it is certain that it is you they look to as their new monarch and they just can't wait to throw me off the throne," his eyes glinted with pride and confidence and it was for you. It outcasted the fear he felt, and it was so new for you to see in him, feel from him, that its brilliance was blinding in all the bright ways, "You will be a much better sovereign than I could have been." he said, "Both you and Jennie will be remarkable Queens of Marcadia."

Your heart thumped, a swell of both poignant and somber emotions. Moved with hearing how the people see you, and the faith your father has for his daughter. But crestfallen at just the sound of Jennie's name.

You were always so taken by everything Jennie.

Whether it was her smile or her laugh or her endearments that had shifted your sensibilities from a downfall to an uprise- Jennie always had an effect on you.

When you would think of her, you were reminded that you still have a heart. The memories, the feelings, the love- layered over each other that you had to peel off the painful ones to feel the good raw and real. You still have a heart for Jennie. Your heart is everything Jennie.

And now, where everything you love about her had been twisted in her name, the feelings you had whenever she would look at you returned upside down, disordered and confused.

She said you both would ruin Marcadia because of this love. If you told father about your heart, you wondered if he would change his mind and say the same thing.

You didn't, though. Your thoughts flushed themselves out, too whirled on their own. Instead, you asked questions you needed answers to. Where father would be during the coronation, what the next course of action is to calm the people, what the next course of action is of the people.