Chapter Three

3•••

3
•••

   Walking down the hill, you try to direct Jennie's attention away from Chanyeol and your apparent infatuation with him. You think of questions for answers to add to the list- favorite food, favorite book, favorite color- maybe favorite colors- but she is fixated on the tousle haired boy astride your stallion.

"He's quite handsome even from a distance." Jennie interrupts you mid-sentence asking about her favorite artist. You sigh in defeat as you near the course and accept there is no avoiding the topic. "Does he know?" she asks.

In truth, you're not entirely certain.

There have been enough moments between you and the boy to question if he knew of your likeness toward him, and scary enough, to question if the likeness was mutual. The linger of a hand, the secret glances, the not so secret stares, the shower of compliments, the brush of the waist- you tend to think you are being delusional, but when the world centers in on just you and Chanyeol, the way he looks at you is unquestionable.

"I see," and Jennie has read your mind again. "you ought to be careful, Rosie."

A bubble in your chest rises to her voice with your name. You could get used to the sound of it as new companion.

"What is his name?"

"Chanyeol."

"How long have you been fond of him?"

You think to retract and deny. Deny deny deny as you have been doing to yourself all this time. But persistent may very well be added to the list of things Jennie and there may be nothing you can say to convince her otherwise. "Not more than a year."

"Has he done his service as a soldier?" she has not broken her gaze on him.

"He has..." you say, keeping your eyes on anything but him.

"When?"

You sigh heavily. You already know how she's going to react. "Nine years ago..."

"Wow" Jennie exhales, "I know age is just a number, but prince charming is twenty-seven years old?"

You can't deny the age gap. You've already considered it as a factor to the hundreds of why everything about this is so wrong.

"Yes" you sigh.

"Princess!"

Oh god

"Princess, indeed." Jennie coos.

You've reached the course railings and Chanyeol tugs the reins to stop Orange right by the two of you. Leaning into Jennie's strawberry scent, you whisper in her ear, "Please, don't speak of it."

"Your Highness," Chanyeol is wreathed in smiles and you curse those perfect teeth because they do a perfect job at making you fall for him every time. He jumps off Orange and bows in respect to Jennie, who extends her hand to him in well-manners. "good day to you, Princess Jennie." Chanyeol humbly shakes her hand.