Chapter Eleven

[WARNING: MATURE CONTENT]

11
•••

The fleeting whistle is the only sound in the humid morning air. It's the melodic whistle of your coach. An old song that father had taught you when you were younger. One that you sung all the words to while he whistled along and clapped his hands. It is a song that you have long since sung its tune. You couldn't remember the words even if you tried. It is one of those memories you've repressed after mother died.

You hold Jennie's hand a little tighter as you walk closer to the stables. She has offered to accompany you while you have a word with Rufus. Approaching the door, Jennie notes she will be waiting outside, and when you enter, the whistling stops to greet you good morning.

"I was afraid you'd have forgotten about me." Rufus smiles, picking up a sack of carrots to place them in a trolly.

"You had gone to visit Chanyeol yesterday," you say, moving over to help him with the sacks. "is he well?"

That is a question you immediately regret. The last thing you would want Rufus to think of is that you still have somewhat of a likeness for his son.

Only, you don't even give a single thought to Chanyeol these days.

"He is working hard, Princess," Rufus says without a questionable tone. "There is one thing," he stops his work to look at you and nervous anticipation sits. "I'll be transferring to the Grand Stables. Your father reckons I could be of great help to young riders now that your equestrian days are finished."

"Oh," you should have expected this. Rufus wasn't going to be there for you forever. "I don't doubt you would be a great teacher to young kids."

He wasn't about to play father for the rest of your life.

"I truly appreciate that, Roseanne." he says sincerely, "My transfer has nothing to do with the Cup, you understand that right?"

You merely nod your head, even if you were considering it as a factor. The timing is impeccable. And the fact that Rufus won't be around anymore puts an awful sadness in you.

"I am always proud of you, no matter what."

You nod again, fearing your voice would shake if you speak.

"It's just a stupid race." he blurts, and you chuckle at his bluntness, "Do not tell your father I said that." he points seriously, then cracks a smile too.

"W-When do you leave, Rufus?" you ask, now feeling as if the times you've had have come up too short.

"First thing on Sunday morning."