Chapter Twelve

12•••

12
•••

   You're dizzy to disorientation when you wake. You're not even sure how much of sleep you've acquired. It feels as though you had just closed your eyes, only to have them open again.

You're drained, and tired, and your heart is heavy. Heavier than it was last night, when Jennie left in her afflicted tears, after you decided your love affair was over- tears you will be sure to claim punishment for for causing.

Because you do not regret it.

You had to put your foot down before anyone else could step all over the both of you.

As much as you tried to convince yourself that this isn't a mistake, you wondered what would have been bound to happen if you didn't buckle so early. If it were in the cards, you wondered how different you would be when you finally stand in front of your father with your heart on your sleeve- how brave would you say that you've fallen in love? How strong would you stand your ground to say you're in love with Jennie?

You fell to a restless sleep without the answers, and you have awoken, still to none.

Only the remnants of last night's dispute linger.

Now, dawn looms over and you know you have plenty to face today. It makes your stomach churn and neck stiffen. If today will be tough, you wonder if you could even manage tomorrow.

Jennie will be dancing in her black dress, and you will be dancing in your discomfort, with men, with no pursuit.

There's plenty to face.

And you think you will start with Lisa.

•••

   You request Suho to leave after he returns to the stables with your sleepy-eyed friend. She appears to have rushed into her day clothes to meet you here once your royal guard woke her from her quarters. You were only waiting a good ten minutes, but it was a test to your patience as you recalled what Lisa had said to you about her good friend Sehun. Good friend, she said. 

"You lied to me." you say firmly, but still quiet in the morning air.

Lisa lifts her drooping head up, snapped awake from the accusation. "I would never." she says, and it serves as a slap in the face because you thought so, too.

"I saw you last night." you stare at her mute alarm, the fixed eyes and stiff body, "In the maze."

She shakes her head, "I didn't lie to you, Rosie."

"All the lights were off— you were kissing Sehun—"

"I-I thought that—" she palms her face and pushes back her hair in frustration, "I thought that we were just good friends, okay, and that he was perfect company, but... but things just happened—"