Chapter Ten

[WARNING: MATURE CONTENT]

10
•••

   Quick! She's catching up!

Bigger steps, bigger breaths, bigger swings, you sprint down the forrest.

"I'm gonna get you!" the tiniest voice of your best friend is booming in the rustle of the trees. Her footsteps are just as loud, coming closer and closer as you run down the shaded path.

"Loser owes a favor!" you're nearly there!

Over puddles, over fallen leaves, over tree trunks, you slam your feet against the damp earth. Wet soil stain your legs and your dress- but don't stop now!

The stubby tree is just up ahead— you glance back to watch Lisa lose—

"Rosie watch out!"

   Your eyes pop open. You collect your jolted mind, awaking from slumber, staring up at what isn't the angels of your ceiling, but ocean waves instead.

"Did I press too hard?"

You turn to your left, where Jennie sits on the edge of the bed, tending to your wounded palm from yesterday. The sun seeps through the thin curtains, projecting her in a faint silhouette.

But you can well admire her crown braided hair, body in the beige sundress, and natural facial features that are now imprinted in your mind to remember whenever you want.

A sight to see the first thing in the morning.

"You know," she says, applying ointment to the dried raw flesh, "You really should have had this cleaned up last night."

You wince at a particular burn. She retracts immediately, squeezing your hand for comfort.

"Well," you pull back your palm, propping yourself up to lean over where she sits. You place a kiss on her arm, "I was a little busy last night.", and trail up, and up, and meet her plump lips. It awakes your body completely, filling you with contentment that she is right here with you.

When you pull away, she catches her lip in the smile she tries to conceal. You can't stop the stupid grin that spreads on your face either because thinking about last night is making your stomach flip cartwheels.

You can't quite believe it. You couldn't really think too much of it last night as she held you close, in silence as your minds drifted to dream. Now, you're awake in Jennie's bed trying to wrap your head around what happened.