Chapter Two

2•••

2
•••

   Not a word is distinct. No matter how hard you press your ear to the door, you can't understand the muffled voices in your father's headquarters.

He has been speaking with Rufus for a little over twenty minutes and you were already on tenterhooks past the ten minute mark.

You feel guilty for whatever faults your father is resting upon your coach. You lost the race yourself, your responsibility in its entirety and it was just a pre-meet, but nevertheless, you should be taking the brunt of the blame.

You feel even worse because this wasn't just one of your antics or as ironic as it sounds, innocent rebellions. This was the beginning of the Cup. The Cup your father won and the Cup you will claim as your own to continue the Park streak. To break it, it is to break the three generations of champions.

To your father, you're already a step too close to doing just that.

When the door knob fumbles from inside, you jump back and straighten your dress.

Rufus pulls the door open and steps out to the hallway, closing the door behind him. "Good afternoon, Princess." he has the meek curve to his lips as he greets you dearly, beaming at you like you are not the reason for being reprimanded only moments ago. "Did you enjoy the pre-meet?".

"Rufus," you avert your gaze down, "I'm sorry about the race."

"Pardon?"

"And I apologize for my father." you say, because you know your father more than anyone else and he would not have brushed this under the rug so easily. And the silence from Rufus tells you that what happened in the headquarters was exactly what you were thinking. Father has put the responsibility of your loss on him and because Rufus is Rufus, your unfailing, trustworthy coach, father to your best friend- he will not complain nor show his despondency.

"It is no matter, Roseanne. It happens. I know you tried your best."

You really can't look him in the eyes.

"You always do."

You hate to have disappointed him.

"Let's work harder for the real race, agreed?"

You nod your head.

"I should go help Chanyeol and Lisa at the stables. Those two were bickering before I came up here." you shy a laugh as you can imagine them both. "Your father is waiting. Rest well tonight, Princess." he excuses himself and disappears down the hall.