Chapter Six

6•••

6
•••

   True to her word, Jennie came to look for you after unpacking and settling into her new room. You had just come out of your father's office- with a smile, in fact, because he has been more than happy to accommodate Jennie for the next two and a half months. He has been so keen on the idea, that he waved you off to ring King Tae-oh for good measure.

Jennie wanted to see more of the palace, so to all of the rooms of interest, you took her. She was at awe with the music room the most, despite the classical instruments in need of a polish. This is one of the rooms left to the dust.

Mother was a pianist, you told Jennie. She spent long hours of her days sat at the grand piano writing piece after piece. She taught you everything you know, but you must have forgotten how to play by now.

Jennie frowned at that. "Are you letting it go forever?".

You stared at the imprint of her fingerprints to the dusted fine wood.

You hadn't given a final decision much thought. You just never sought to enter this room after your mother died- because she wasn't inside when you would open the door or because you only found interest in it because of her- you don't know.

But every tune she had played to you remains in your recollections. Even the song she had left unfinished is painfully embedded with the acceptance that you will never know how it ends. And it is always much louder and distinct than mother's own voice.

"I'm not sure."

Extremely loud, and painfully distinct.

"But you could play it if you like." you said, noticing the way she lifted the cover and rested it back down. It was the first thought you gave of not letting mother's most treasured instrument be left to rot.

But Jennie looked at the distance between you and the piano- you hadn't stepped far away from the door- and she shook her head. "Maybe next time." she smiled dearly and walked back to you.

   In the kitchens you talked favorite food and there, you found differences with Jennie.

"I have avocado and toast for breakfast all the time!"

"I can't understand how anyone could stand such texture." you rebuked.

"And that is the only food you hate?"

"Hate is a strong word. I only dislike it to a certain extent."

"Of course, how could an innocent princess hate anything?" she chortled. Jennie had her fair list of distasteful foods in comparison to your just one item. "How do you stay so skinny then?" she questioned, and how cute it was to see her sulk in the truth that the Kims just don't have genes like the Parks. But you thought of her as the lucky one. No one could parallel Jennie. Not even close.