Chapter Twenty One

[WARNING: MATURE CONTENT]

21
•••

      It does not matter how many times you tell yourself it was just a dream, because every bone of your body shrivels. Shakes like a cold breeze blowing in you when you remember what you had seen behind your eyes closed. Like all the troubled waters are rushing in you, and like all the hundreds of pounds of your fears are sinking you deep.

You haven't slept a wink since the middle of the night. Not since your subconscious harrowed you in a terrifying, fearfully realistic imagination.

The King is missing.

"Princess!"

You are shielded by your royal guard, from the sticks and stones the people throw over the gates of your estate. It is not long before they throw their torches.

Suho grunts in pain as he takes the pelts in your place. You are too senseless to react when he pushes you into the vestibule, "Suho—" what's going on—

"Stay inside" he is quick to close the doors between the both of you, not giving you any time to pull him in to safety. You bang on the barrier, shouting for your royal guard to tell you what is happening. All you can fathom are the grueling shouts and exclaims of the people, "Bring out the King!" they roar.

They are angry- rioting in ruthless attempts to cross the steel gates and army of guards in a shrilling hunt for King Park.

You don't know where your father is. You didn't even know he was missing- how did you get to this point- All you know is your people are enraged, and the numbers are growing, and they will not be silenced by anyone- not even the monarchy.

You jump back when thundering bolts hit the doors. You hear the guards fighting them back, trying to suppress the riots- people are getting hurt—

"Your Majesty" you are spun around by gripping hands on your shoulders. You are stunned— puzzled in the title off Ms. Choi's lips, "The people are gaining on the palace— you must hide" your mentor is frantic. She's urging you to move with her grip so tightly wrapped around your wrist that your hand could turn purple- "Please your Majesty—"

You pry the words out of you, "What's happened, Ms. Choi?" your heart is beating dangerously quick as adrenaline and the eccentric force of your befuddled senses tell you to hide like she says. You stumble on your heels, glancing behind you to the doors- the people's voices boom louder in the echoing halls-

"Behead the Queen!"

You stop dead in your tracks, "Mother?" you glance around- a chilling fright crawling up your skin at the horrendous chants for death upon the Queen. You slip from Ms. Choi's grasp.