12

“Now then, next is long-range spell training!” the teacher said.

Yusha stands around with a blank face, the teacher tapped her on the head with the edge of her binder.

“Gah!” she cried.

“You’re being disrespectful,” the teacher said.

The person in question isn’t showing any hint of remorse… if anything, she’s making a cute face with a “Tee-hee~”

“Lily can do almost anything!” Yusha said.

“Yusha… why are you saying that?” I ask. “Nobody’s perfect.”

Yusha just chuckles. “I’m certain you’ll become a Hero!”

(No, I won’t be.)

Yusha is so confident. If I use Demon Magic… then who’ll be fighting who?

“I-I’ll be the sorceress of the Hero Party!” I say.

“Yes! Let’s do our best together!” Yusha said, smiling gently.

Whack! The angry teacher taps Yusha on the head again.

“Ugh… this teacher is terrible!” Yusha says.

“For Pete’s sake…” the teacher said, “it’s only time for long-distance magic training?!”

… It really was just that. I’m not bothered so I wonder if there is some sort of issue. I can’t seem to do anything about Yusha’s being so bothered, though.

Long-range magic training is similar to offensive magic training; in short, it’s target practice. Once again, you can see the power from strongest to weakest as Purple, Blue, Red, Yellow, White, then Black. The only difference, of course, is the distance. You have to fire your magic from one end of the gigantic training room to the other. If you shoot offensive magic as normal, it’ll fizzle out mid-flight.

Hira goes first among our party. “Fa—‘Fire’!” she cries.

Even at close range, her magic was only Gray, so obviously it couldn’t reach…

She whimpers and says, “… It didn’t work.”

“Don’t worry, don’t worry!” Yusha says. “You’ll do better next time!”

“Yusha…!” Hira whispers.

Additionally, Yusha is increasing her popularity among the girls… what is this intense emotion I’m feeling? Jealousy? Am I feeling jealous?

“Shouldn’t you put your heart and soul into it? ‘Fire’!” Shilde cries.

Her spell rockets out with all her power. The distance was quite good but her aim wasn’t, so it didn’t even scratch the target.

“Tch!” Shilde grumbles as she steps aside.

“My turn~!” Yusha says. “’Sacred Javelin’!”

She glows with dazzling light. The divine spear flew straight and strong and naturally, it turned the target Purple.

“Yeah!” I cried. “Nice first shot!”

… I’m not even surprised anymore. This girl’s talent is magnitudes above the rest. It’s time for me to show off my skill with my magic.

“Do your best, Lily!” Yusha cheers from behind me. I feel like that alone can give me more than double my original power!

“’Incinerate!’!”

I release a flaming spiral! I’m sure it turned Blue at close range. At this rate it should at least… turn red!

The fire reaches it without flickering! The target changes to the color… as expected, red!

“Alright, just as I thought,” I said.

“Woo!” Yusha cries. “Go, Lily!”

“Hey, hey, don’t get too enthusiastic!” I say.

In front of the whole class! Really!

“Right, thank you for your hard work,” the teacher says at the end of class. “We’ll hand out a summary of everyone’s grades, so please get yours before you go home. From next week, we’ll begin lectures and practical training on how group tactics. Please prepare yourselves mentally. You’re all free to go.”

“Yes, teacher!” we all say, our voices echoing in the training room. Everyone did fine…

When I returned to the classroom, we were called in order of our seats and handed a piece of paper. These were our grades:

Yes! Isn’t that a pretty good result? Gulp… what’s worries me is Yusha’s performance.

“How’d you do, Yusha?” I ask her.

“Hmm? See for yourself?”

Wow… the strongest without any weaknesses. Just what is going on with her?

“To tell you the truth, I’m better with swordsmanship than I am with magic,” she says.

Huh… there’s more to her than this?! I wonder if the Demon King’s army stands a chance… it seems like they’re going to get wiped out at this rate.

From next week on, we’ll all share a grade as we practice group tactics.

Both of them aren’t very good.

“Right! I’m hanging out with Lily tomorrow, want to join us, Shilde, Hira?”

“Oh, I’m going, I’m going,” Shilde says.

“Ah, is it really okay? For me to join you like this…”

“Of course it is!”

Come to think of it, we’re all hanging out tomorrow. I wonder if Ascena can make me lunch to go…

“We’ll meet in front of the main gate at 10 o’clock tomorrow, then! Bye-bye!”

… We leave in good spirits and finish my first week of school. Yusha… her coming into my life was a surprise in so many ways. May these happy days never end.

T/N: Stat sheets give me the wrong kind of flashbacks.