21

After finishing up our talk at the family restaurant, we all decided to go home. Yusha lives in the same direction as me, so naturally, I went home with her.

“You know, I’m glad you became our leader, Lily!” Yusha said.

“Why do you feel like I’m such a trustworthy figure?” I asked. I don’t remember even gaining this much trust…

“Because you feel like the Leader type! And that aside there’s your name.”

“… What about my name?”

“Because if you’re our leader, you’ll be Leader Lily, right?” Yusha said. “It’s easy to say!”

I groan. “Seriously?”

We’re talking about nothing but it’s really fun. Father… I’ve never thanked the Demon King but maybe I will for the first time after he gave me this mission. Well, I am betraying him anyway.

“Well, this is where we go our separate ways!” Yusha said. “See you tomorrow, Lily! Good night~!”

“Yeah, see you tomorrow, Yusha,” I say.

Yusha is so energetic as she waves goodbye. Oh, she’s always so cute!

Well, time for me to go home, isn’t it? I have to pat Ascena’s head.

“I’m home~!”

“Princess!”

Ascena tackle-hugged me. It’s immediately obvious what I have to do: pat her head.

Ascena squeaks. “Princess, that’s enough!”

“Sorry about dinner,” I said. “Were you already cooking?”

“I was just about to,” Ascena said. “Were you busy with official school business?”

“Yep, it was completely mandatory,” I said.

I managed to make a convincing excuse.

“I-I’ll be sure to be home in time for dinner tomorrow!” I said.

“Really? You’re sure about that?” Ascena asked.

I wonder if Ascena was mad at me after all…? She always has enjoyed eating with me.

“… There, there!” I said as I stroke her head again.

Ascena squeals. “Really, Princess…!” she says as she flails her cute arms and tries to escape. “Are you not going to write a report today?”

“Oh, right, that,” I said. “Thanks for reminding me, Ascena.”

I forgot because I was having too much fun… I’m just about ready to lie down and go to sleep. I wonder what to report… it’ll be fine if it’s just like a text. “We had group tactics training today. Nothing else of note to report.” This will be fine.

I think about Ascena wanting to have dinner with me. Hmm… what should I do… oh!

“Ascena, let’s go talk a bath together, alright?” I ask.

“Huh, huuh…?!” Ascena squeals. “P-Pardon?! I’m afraid that’s not…!”

“Don’t think about it too hard, here!” I said as I grab the ribbon of Ascena’s maid outfit.

She gasps. “Princess…”

I drag her with me to the bathroom. Insistence is key to these matters.

Wait… doesn’t Ascena look too amazing with her clothes off? Impossible.. is she bigger than me?!

“Ascena… you grew up quite nicely, didn’t you?”

Ascena gasps. “I-I’m embarrassed about my chest size!”

“You say that, but your body’s not resisting much, is it?”

What is with this softness…!? No resistance whatsoever!

Ascena whimpers. “… I can’t get married anymore.”1

“Then you should serve me forever.”

“Th-That I should!” Ascena suddenly cries.

“Wait, that was…” I say. “Y-yeah, that was kind of like a marriage proposal.”

Ascena sighs. “It really was.”

Is it possible to propose to Yusha in such a roundabout way…? I’ll think about it in my spare time.

All that’s left to do is get out of bed and go to sleep. But I feel like talking with Ascena for a while, engage in a little girl talk as we lay down on our futons.

“I was chosen as the party leader,” I said.

“An inevitable position for you, Princess!” Ascena cheers.

I chuckle. “It’s hard to wrangle everyone in.”

“But you’re a Princess, you’ll be fine for the role! You are royalty, after all.”

I chuckle again. “Am I, really?”

This is fun, these kinds of conversations with Yusha and Ascena. I feel my everyday life will be happy when casual conversations bring me so much joy.

Ascena yawns adorably.

Oh. Is it time for Ascena to sleep already? She prepares breakfast from early in the morning, it’d be terrible to keep her up for longer.

“Good night, Ascena,” I say. “Till tomorrow.”

“Yes, till tomorrow, Princess <3”

1. A recurring joke in Japanese media where something perverted happens to a female character and they claim that they can longer get married due to being “stained” or “impure.”

Notes from the Author: Hiyoko Mizutama drew an illustration of Ascena ♪ It’s very cute ♡