29

After the battle with the c**ckroach last night, it’s time for school once again. We have lectures in the classroom like always and eat lunch in a hurry to make it to practical training. The more we get used to this pace, the more our lives will go smoother.

“Now, it’s the high-level forest, but we’ll still do our best!” Yusha cries.

Her cheer echoes throughout the woods before her. Today and tomorrow, we’ll be entering the high-level forest and improving our coordination as a party.

“Now then, there are monsters in this forest that are considerably stronger than the ones you faced yesterday,” the teacher said. “If you feel you’re in danger, don’t hesitate to set off your firecrackers. The auxiliary party or the teachers will come right to your aid!”

Gulp… I’m nervous as the difficulty’s going up. I think we’ll be fine because our party has Yusha’s ludicrous strength, though.

“Everyone, let’s form a line,” I said. “Walk in the usual order of Shilde, Yusha, me, then Hira. If you feel something is wrong, let me know right away.”

“Right!” “Got it!” “R-Roger!”

Alright. Everyone’s looking good. This should be fine.

“Okay, let’s go!”

Into the shady forest! It’s cold as we step in… it’s kind of creepy.

Bang!

“Woah?!” I yelp. “What the…!?”

“… Was that a firecracker?” Shilde asked.

“A-Already?” Hira asked.

“Seems like someone already ran into a strong monster,” Yusha said.

Wow, that was fast. It’s only been 3 minutes but already someone’s given up. If we run into a monster, we might be in trouble.

“Churu-churu…”1

“Haa!” I yelp. “Everyone, get down!”

A silver wire flies by at cheek-height. Everyone followed my command and threw themselves on the ground, so we managed to dodge that, but… where did it come from?!

“Metal Spider…” I muttered.

It’s got a large body and is silver in color. It’s one of the strongest among these high-level monsters.

“Let’s form up and fight!” I yell.

Shilde runs up and holds up her shield; it feels like she’s always ready for combat. Yusha… needless to say, she’s already preparing a counter-attack and even Hira is readying her support magic. Everyone’s improving. With this, I’ll lead us to victory!

“Careful, these metal spiders spit out metal threads!” I said. “It’ll cut your skin if it touches you!”

As I look around the area, it’s shining brightly. I see now… we were unlucky enough to walk into a metal spider’s nest…

“Churu!”

It spits out metal threads to attack. This is bad but it’s also our chance to counter!

“Shilde,” I say.

“Got it, Shield!”

Shiled’s barrier spreads out and stops the threads. Hira is also supporting her but they can’t stand against this for very long.

“Yusha,” I said, “hit it with all you’ve got!”

“Okay!” Yusha cried. “Sacred Javelin!”

Yusha’s body glows white, the spear flies out with a boom.

“Churu-churu?!”

The metal spider saw it coming and wove metal threads into a shield.

“Take this…!” Yusha cries.

The spear hits the silvery shield. That attack is ridiculously powerful… but against that shield… it breaks as I expected.

“Chur-ru-ru…!”

It pierces through to the metal spider! We did it!

“You hit it, Yusha!” I cried.

“Yeah, but it didn’t do much damage…” Yusha said.

“Huh?”

Impossible…

“Chu-ru-ru…!”

Gah! The metal spider… we’re not in the clear at all! Now it’s encasing itself in its metal thread to boost its defense!

“Hira, boost Yusha this time. Yusha, take another shot!”

“Right!” Yusha cried. “Sacred Javelin!”

She fires off another spear! It can’t block it anymore because it’s boosted by Hira’s magic, right?

“Chu-raa…!”

And it goes straight through the metal spider’s body! Yes, it’s a total victory.

“We did it!” I cried. “Thank you, Yusha, we’ll continue to rely on you.”

“… Huh?” Yusha asked. “What did you just say?”

“… What’s wrong?” I ask.

Huh… what’s with this unpleasant premonition?

“My Sacred Magic can only be used up to twice a day…”

“Huh…”

Huuuuuhhh….?!