23

As lunchtime ended, I decided to halt my argument with Shilde. We need to head to practical training, anyway.

“Alright, class,” the teacher said, “today we’ll have group tactics training in the 4th training ground… this is the forest with super-low-class monsters.”

Fourth… how many of these training grounds were there?

“The rules are simple: you’ll enter the forest as a party and spend an hour inside it,” the teacher said. “Obviously, there are low-level monsters in the forest, so if you encounter them, please take them on together. If you feel you’re in danger, use these firecrackers. I’ll fly right to your aid~”

I see… so if we’re in danger, we’re expected to call our teacher for help. As you’d expect, freshmen can’t reliably fight monsters on their own as they’ve just entered this Academy… though, if I can use Demon Magic, I could hunt even middle or high-level monsters no problem.”

“Time starts now. Oh, and if you’re seen trying to escape the forest, you’ll fail immediately~!” the teacher says, smiling even as she says something so scary.

“R-Right!” I said. “Everyone, let’s go!”

Yusha cheers.

Hira stammers as she does the same.

And no response from Shilde. This is going to be an issue.

I’m scared as we enter the forest. I’m used to monsters but now that I can’t use Demon Magic, I’m a little nervous… I’m sure this would be an easy win for me with my decent record but… I have to lead Hira and Shilde right now.

“O-kay!” Yusha said. “Let’s just walk around till our hour’s up!”

“Hey! Hold up, Yusha!”

She ran off. I’ll lose sight of her! Right from the starting gate…!

“E-Everyone, after her!” I said.

I dash after Yusha! But after running for a while, I couldn’t find a trace of her. Where in the world has she gone?!

“Hira, Shilda,” I ask, “where do you think… huh?”

What the? Hira’s not here.

“Hey, Shilde, what happened to Hira?”

“… Dunno,” Shilde said. “She was gone before I knew it.”

“How could you not know?” I snap.

“What are you getting angry at me for?” Shilde snapped back. “You’re the leader, aren’t you? It’s your fault we’ve lost sight of them.”

“What did you just say?!”

“What do you think?!”

We were face-to-face with sparks flying between us… and it was only after we finished our shouting match that I remembered what would happen if you did that in the middle of a forest like this.

“Kyuuu…!”

“A monster?!” Shilde cried.

“Mommy Bird…!” I hissed.

It’s a small but fast monster. If you keep calm and act smart, you’ll find it’s…

“Let’s fight later!” Shilde said. “Let’s beat this thing first!”

“Roger!” I said.

Shilde, our tank, stands in front as I move behind her.

“Kree!”

With only one means of attack, the Mommy Bird pecks at Shilde with its beak. However…

“Hah, this’ll be easy! Shield!”

Against Shilde’s barrier, the attack does nothing. And now…

“Fire!”

The Mommy Bird burns in an instant, it’s far too weak.

“Nice!” Shilde said. “Good casting!”

“And solid defense, Shilde!”

We unconsciously high-five each other.

“Gah!” we both yell soon after.

We remembered we were still fighting… this awkward air feels so wrong…

“That’s what I wanted to see!”

“Huh?!” Shilde and I cry.

Yusha burst out of the bushes, Hira followed shortly after.

“Wha-What?” I asked. “Where were you guys?”

“Since you and Shilde were so angry at each other, I asked Hira to help me help you two get along.”

Does that mean… this was all engineered by Yusha and Hira?

“Ah, um… please get along!” Hira squeaks.

“… We will,” I said. “I’m sorry, Shilde, for forcing such a selfish command on you.”

“Nah… I shouldn’t act alone,” Shilde said. “I’ll do my best from here, so trust me, Leader.”

We firmly shake hands. Yusha looked at us with a satisfied smile, nodded, and said, “Perfect.”

“Now that we’re back together, let’s survive this exercise!” I said.

Everyone cheers!

Our happy voices echo in the forest… hold up? We’re going to call in more monsters…