39

It’s been about 5 minutes since the 1st match started. One party was overwhelmed and it was over. It seems like the losing party’s coordination wasn’t good enough to match their opponents. It reminded me of how we were on our first day fighting the Auxiliary Party. Need to write that down, need to write that down.

The matches continue like that. After all, there were clear differences in power right from the 1st match. There was a frequent pattern of overwhelming loss or victory.

And finally, it’s our party’s turn.

“Alright, let’s go!” I cry. “Yusha, Shilde, Hira!”

“Right!” “Got it!” “R-Roger!”

We moved to the virtual battleground room in the middle of the 7th match. We’ll be briefed here.

“Alright, you’ll be the participants of the 8th match,” the teacher says.

The other party has already gathered here. I’ve never seen them before. I mean, I don’t even remember the names of my other classmates yet… I just recognize their faces.

“Now then, I’ll be explaining how to use the virtual battleground,” the teacher says. “There are 40 seats, but please use seats 1 to 8 for today. The first party is from #1 to #4; the other party is from #5 to #8. This is how we will be programming the system to divide you into your respective teams.”

… The more I listen, the more amazing humans become to me. If the demon’s massive amounts of mana are applied here, it’ll become even more amazing.

“There’s something you should know about fighting in the virtual battleground,” the teacher says. “For now, pain sensations are blocked so you won’t feel any, but when your HP gauge reaches 0, you’ll get kicked out. You will then come to in your seats. The maximum HP amount is 100.”

Hmm… I don’t know how much HP a magical attack will take away. Based on what I’ve seen from the 7 games so far, I think a direct hit from Fire is worth 20 HP. Or at least I think it is. Ah well, I suppose it’ll depend on the person that cast the spell, so that’s just an assumed value.

“Next, I’ll explain how to use the virtual battleground,” the teacher said. “I think you can see for yourselves as the 7th match is ongoing, but I’ll still say you have to wear those large helmets. Afterward, press the switch in your hands, and your consciousness will be transferred to the virtual battleground. If you feel uncomfortable, there is a red boundary called the Exit Zone you can cross to leave early. That is all you need to know.”

Me, Yusha, and Hira understand completely. Somehow, Shilde looks a little lost. I wonder if this is fine…

“Shilde, did you get all that?” I asked.

“Y-Yeah!” Shilde stammers. “I’m not dumb!”

“… Really?”

Shilde blushes a light red, her face scrunches up, and she looks away. Is this going to be fine…?

“Oh, looks like the 7th match is over!” Yusha said.

I look from Shilde to the virtual battleground. She’s right, everyone is taking off their helmets.

“Alright, everyone…” I start, “listen carefully. This will be our first real step as a party! I don’t think it’s impossible to take the championship if we just do as we’ve always done. Don’t you all feel the same?”

Everyone nods their heads.

“Then let’s do this,” I said. “Our goal is victory, so we’re going to win our first round!”

Everyone cheers!

We’re seated after that. I’m #1, Yusha is #2, Shilde is #3, and Hira is #4. We put on our helmets… but I’ll glance at everyone first. Yusha is particularly excited, she seems to have gone straight into the virtual battleground. She just couldn’t wait.

In that case… should I go, too? Switch, on!

I feel like I’m getting pulled somewhere, I lose the sensation of the ground beneath my feet… I’ve arrived. When I open my eyes carefully, I find I’m in a boring white space. Our four opponents are straight ahead of us.

“Well…” I said, “let’s do this!”

The battle begins!