19

“Show us what you’ve got, young ladies!”

“Let’s go!” Shilde cries. “Charge!”

Huh?! What do you do when your tank runs off to attack?!

The auxiliary party leader chuckles. “This is going to be fun~!”

“Guh?!”

Shilde’s down and out. What do you do when you lose your tank?

“Tch, Yusha!” I yell. “Use your special attack!”

“Got it!” Yusha says. “Leave this to me!”

And in the meanwhile…

“Hira, will you fire off some spells?!”

“Y-Yes…!” Hira squeals.

We act as Yusha’s magical support as she charges straight into the enemy’s formation. Wait, is she… being lured in?!”

“Wait, Yusha! Stop!”

“… What the?!”

“Ha!” “Hyah!” “Hmn!”

Yusha is surrounded by a triangle formation. Their tank comes out first to block our magic, the vanguard moves back to their rearguard to intercept Yusha. Impressive… this is how humans fight! I can’t imagine the demons could be so coordinated on the battlefield fight when they already have trouble maintaining alliances with one another…

We were incapacitated as we stood stunned, the whistle blew and we lost that round.

“Hmm, that won’t do at all~!” the instructor hums. “Students ladies, your tank feels right at home in the thick of it, your swordsman feels ridiculously powerful all on her own, but you can’t handle a coordinated enemy. You’re all one step too late to react and your middle-guard wasn’t keeping track of the flow of battle.”

“If this were a real fight, you’d all be dead by now. Don’t ever forget that.”

“… We won’t,” we all say.

We can’t say anything else in return. We were overwhelmed even though we had the advantage in numbers. On the battlefield, there would be times when Yusha’s power by itself wouldn’t be enough and there would be times when I, Shilde, and Hira’s powers can’t be pushed any further.

“This party has potential,” the auxiliary party leader says. “It seems like you’re all good friends but until then, find what you’re missing. This is your lesson from your aunties.”

“Th-Thank you very much…” we mutter.

Friends… I see. We are still friends. But we have to be better from here on out.

The other parties also got wiped out; by the time it was over, everyone was exhausted.

“Tomorrow’s practical training will take place at the outdoor facilities,” the teacher said. “Don’t forget to assemble there after lectures are over. That will be all for today’s class.”

We can’t just go home now…!

“Do you have some time to spare, everyone?” I asked.

“Yes! I was thinking of going someplace…” Yusha said.

“Sure, I’ve got time to kill,” Shilde said.

“A-Ah, sure! What did you have in mind?” Hira says.

We all decide to head to a family restaurant. I use a convenient item from the demon world, a “smartphone”, to send Ascena a message that I won’t be eating dinner tonight.

Oh, she replied fast…

“Understood. (ㆀ ˘ ・ з ・ ˘)”

… Does she sound a little disappointed? I wonder if she wanted me to eat a home-cooked meal… I’ll pat you lots when I get home!

We’re all quiet as we step into the restaurant. Yusha isn’t her normal energetic self, I worry our defeat hit her hard. And just as I was thinking about that, she came up to me and asked a question:

“Hey, what do you think sounds better: a deluxe parfait or a chocolate parfait?”

“… For dinner?” I ask.

Yusha is just being Yusha as usual but I like it!

We find a table and everyone orders something for themselves. Shilde gets a hamburger. Hira gets soup, bread, and a salad. Yusha gets a parfait and chicken. I get the gratin.

“Is that enough for you, Hira?” I ask.

“Y-Yes,” Hira said. “I don’t eat that much…”

Everyone is worried about Hira, she’s become something of a baby sister of our party. Other than that, we don’t talk until our food arrives. Everyone… was just too shocked.

“Sorry to keep you waiting~!” a server says.

With our food, we finally feel in the mood to talk. It’s time to talk about our teamwork…