f i f t y f o u r

We had spent the night in our makeshift camp, and were planning on making the last few miles to Terminus later today. We had explained to Rick how Daryl had found me, and how we made our way back to them. Rick seemed to be doing better, and Daryl had helped him clean the blood off of his face. I returned the favor for Daryl, who had a black eye forming, and multiple cuts on his face.

"Sons of bitches messed up my face." Daryl grumbled.

I cupped his face with my hands, and forced him to look at me. "They could never mess up this face." I smiled, and planted a kiss on his cheek. "It makes you look more like a badass." Daryl grunted, but a small smile crept on his face.

Daryl's POV:
Rick made his way over to us, and Aspen sensed he wanted to speak alone with me. "I'll go see if Michonne needs help." She gave my hand a squeeze, and made her way over to the truck.

Rick sat down beside me. "So Aspen and ya?"

"Yea. It happened kinda fast." I said, picking at my shoe. "If ya don't approve-"

"Nah Daryl. I know you're a good man. Her father might not have liked it too much..." Rick chuckled lightly. "But I know that you're a good guy, and I know you'll keep her safe."

"I haven't been too good at doing that up to now." I mumbled. "She's been hurt more than she was before I was with her."

"That's not on you Daryl. Things happen. This world is unpredictable and dangerous. Keeping people alive, being together. That's everythin." He patted me on the back. "You're my brother Daryl. And if Aspen was my daughter, I would have no problem with y'all being together." I returned his smile, and he got up from the log. "Just no funny business." I smirked and shook my head as Rick walked off.

Aspen's POV:
I saw Rick leave Daryl in pretty high spirits, so hopefully that meant the conversation went well. "Aspen can I talk to ya?" Rick asked me, and I moved away from the truck and followed him into the forest.

"What's up?"

"So I know about you and Daryl now." I could hear my heartbeat in my ears. What if Rick didn't approve? "And I'm really happy for the two of ya. You seem to make him happy, and hopefully he does the same for you."

I sighed in relief. "He really does Rick. He would take a bullet for me without even thinking twice."

"I don't doubt that." Rick smiled. "And in this crazy world, I don't see how findin love is a bad thing."

I gasped at the word. "Well I don't know if it's-"

"Oh it is." Rick interrupted. "But I did have one more question for you."

"Yes?"

"What do you think of becoming my adopted daughter? Obviously I don't have any papers or anything, but-"

"I would love to!" I squealed, and embraced him. "Rick, I've always seen you as more of a father figure than Shane ever was. And Carl has always been the closet thing to a brother I'll ever have." Rick grinned at my words.

"Great. Ya don't have to call me dad or anything."

"Ok Dad." I beamed, and gave him another hug. "See you around Dad." Rick chuckled, and I practically skipped back to camp. Daryl was still sitting on his log, and I wrapped my arms around his back.

"Hey." I whispered, and he looked at me wondrously.

"Someone's happy."

"Very." I smiled and moved to sit down, but he got up.

"Come with me." Daryl took my hand. "We'll be right back." He said to Rick, who had made his way back into the camp.

"Thanks Dad." I smiled.