t h i r t e e n

The truck bumped along the road as we drove towards the CDC. I was trying to take a nap, but sleep would just not come. I ended up in the truck with Carl, Lori, and Rick. I felt like their family. It just further proved my point that Rick is more like my dad than Shane is. I am no longer going to call him Dad. He isn't really. Rick is.

"Hey Dad, how much father?" Carl asked and this caused Rick and Lori to chuckle.

"Somethings never change do they?" Rick smiled. "Were almost there Carl. We'll probably get there right as the sun starts to set if I had to guess."

"Ugh. That's like in forever." Carl responded.

"It's okay Carl, after all, how often do we get a moment to be bored now? I would enjoy it!" I winked at him. Being around Carl automatically lifts my spirits. I love him. Just then, the moment was ruined though because the RV started smoking and Dale stopped it. Rick stopped the car right behind them.

Dale came out and walked to us as we got out of the car. "It's just broke down. We should be able to fix it and be on the road soon." He walked back to the trailer and went to work on it with Glenn. I got out of the truck with Carl.

Then Jim was carried out of the truck. "Woah! What are y'all doing with him?" Rick asked, running up to T-dog who was holding him.

Jim spoke up in a raspy voice, "I'm just a burden Rick. There's no reason to keep me around. I want to be left out by that tree over there." Rick was stunned.

"No Jim, we're taking you to the CDC and finding you a treatment."

"No Rick, stop." Jim grabbed Rick's arm and stopped him.

"I what to be with my family." He said softly.

Rick stopped and looked Jim in the eyes for awhile. You could tell he was internally fighting himself. But finally he said, "Okay. If it's really what you want." T-dog took Jim out by the tree and set him in the shade.

Everyone took their time to say goodbye to him while we waited for the RV. I didn't want to at first but then I realized this man was going to die. This is the last couple memories we would have of him and I didn't want to just stand there and watch while he died. I waited for Carol to finish talking to him and then I walked over to him.

"Hi. Um, I know we didn't talk a lot, but I wanted to just come over and say something. Since, you know.... everyone else is doing it too. So um... I'm sorry. You didn't deserve this... no one does."

He interrupted me. "Aspen, stop. It's okay. I know this is awkward." He started laughing, and then began coughing. "Just listen. I know this might seem really weird for a dying man to tell you this, but you will do amazing things. I can see it. Don't be afraid to go down the path that seems like will it will be useless. You can do it and please keep following that path." I shivered at his words. What did he mean? What would I do?

Daryl's POV:
I saw that Aspen went to talk to Jim. I surely wasn't going to. I didn't know that man, why would I? He was dying, tons of people will. He's no different.

I saw him tell Aspen something and she stiffened. I swear if he hurts her.... Woah. Chill. You need to distance yourself remember?

I turned away and leaned against the side of the truck and waited for the RV to start. I was impatient. We needed to get out of here. Ever since the walker attack, I didn't like staying in one place for long.

I felt someone tap me on the shoulder.

"You should go talk to him." It was Aspen. Oh no. No way was I going to him.

"Nah. I don't know him. Why should I do that?"

"Because he's dying asshole! These are the last hours he has left and you're just going to watch him die?!" She stomped off.

No. No way was I going to go to him. But she does have a point. He is dying. No. I'm not. Or maybe I will.

I finally gave in and walked over to Jim. I didn't know what to say so I just stood there awkwardly and cleared my throat a couple times.

"Daryl, daryl, daryl." Jim sighed shaking his head. "You're losing her dude. I see it between you and Aspen. I might be dying, but I'm not blind." He smiled and his eyes glazed over.

"I don't know-"

"Stop. Just stop. I know you know exactly what I'm saying. I know you're going to try and deny it, but don't deny it for too long because you might lose her." He shut his eyes and took some deep breaths. I guess this conversation is over. I stood there for a few more seconds and thought about what he said.

"Daryl! We're leaving!" Rick yelled at me. I turned and walked slowly to the car I was riding in. Aspen smirked at me, knowing Jim said something to me that messed with my brain. Which he did.

Aspen's POV:
I saw Daryl walk up to Jim. I watched the entire time they talked. I saw Jim tell Daryl something and he tightened up and I knew Jim told him something just as confusing as what he told me.

Daryl walked slowly back up to us in a daze and I smirked when I caught his eye, He huffed and walked up to his car and slammed the door. I took the cue and got back into the truck.

—————

We drove for the rest of the afternoon and it began to get dark.

"I thought you said we'd be there by dark daddy." Carl asked.

"I'm sorry buddy. I didn't expect the RV to break down. We should be there soon though."

We drove for a little while when we finally caught a sight of the building.

"There it is!" Rick exclaimed. He flashed his headlights at the cars, signaling them all to stop. We pulled into the parking lot and got out of the cars, killing any of the walkers that got too close.

"Everyone head toward the doors!' Rick yelled at everyone.

I made a path for myself by killing all the walkers that ended up in front of me. I wasn't letting a single one go. I found myself besides Daryl and I slowly drifted closer to him. I didn't know what drew me to him, but I felt safer by him. We fought until we reached the door. It was pitch black dark now and the doors were shut.

Rick ran up to them and tried to open them, but they wouldn't budge. Shane tried just as hard but to no avail. I started becoming scared. What if we couldn't get in? Would we die? Walkers began to close in on the group. I stared to shake and felt someone appear beside me. I looked up and saw it was none other than Daryl. He stepped a little in front of me, in a protective manner. I stepped behind him, not realizing the walkers were gaining on us until I looked around.

The group of walkers was slowly coming closer and closer as Rick continued to beat on the doors.

"No! You don't understand! I saw the camera move! It moved! I saw it!"

"Rick, we have to go!" Lori tried to convince her husband, but he wouldn't budge. He was convinced he saw the cameras move. Meanwhile the walkers were getting ever closer.

"Aspen duck!" I ducked  my head down as Daryl shot an arrow over me. I spun around, realizing he just shot a walker that was coming up on me.

"Thanks." I mumbled. He just turned around and started fighting off all the other walkers. I ran up to him and got behind him, our backs touching as we fought off walkers back to back.

We did this for what seemed like hours until the doors flew open and we were all bathed in a white light.

"Lets go!" Rick yelled as we all ran into the CDC.