t h i r t y e i g h t

Aspen's POV:
The next couple of days passed in a blur. Rick was nowhere to be found. I saw him about two times since Lori's death.

He seemed to be taking it really hard. He had a new child in his life, but he seemed he couldn't care less about it. He was just wandering around the prison, doing who knows what.

I couldn't bring myself to visit the baby, though. It brought back too many painful memories. Although I didn't like Lori much growing up, she still had been a major part of my childhood, and that was truly an awful way to die. Yes, she brought a new child into the world, but she also died giving it life.

"Hey, how are you holding up?" Maggie asked, making her way into my cell. She sat down beside me and put her arm around my shoulder as I could no longer hold back the sobs.

I cried for a long while before I finally pulled myself back from her, wiping my eyes. "I'm okay." I said, faking a smile. "How are you and Glenn doing?"

Maggie could tell I was trying to change the subject and, thankfully, followed along with it. "Actually better than ever. We had a heart to heart conversation last night, and just talked about what was going on in our relationship. We both want this to work, and I think we just realized that our time on this Earth is too short to be mad at each other for misunderstandings. How about you and Daryl?"

I sighed, knowing this was coming. Ever since we had that, very public, hug, it seemed that's all anyone wanted to talk about. Me and Daryl, Daryl and me, blah, blah, blah.

But in fact, our relationship hadn't made any improvements. Right when I thought we'd make it "official," we seemed to grow even further apart. He hasn't talked to me since that night, and seemed to be avoiding me.

Every time I entered a room, he leaves. And if we're forced to be in the same room for a meeting, or something like that, he'll make sure to stand as far away from me as he can get.

I sigh, turning towards Maggie. "We've been better."

She just laughed. "Better? Since when have y'all been 'better?' I've never seen you two together besides that one hug, and I couldn't say that was much."

"It's complicated Maggie. I was afraid to tell anyone my feelings, because I didn't want any judgement. I know he's practically old enough to be my dad, but I don't know, it just feels different with him. I feel safe, and confident. But whatever, he probably just thinks I'm an annoying little kid."

"You know what I think?" Maggie responded. "I think you both have feelings for each other, but you're both just trying to understand them. You don't really know what you want or how you're feeling, and you need time and space. It'll be a different path for both of you, but eventually you'll meet again. Just wait, you'll see. You can't force yourselves to be ready, but once you both are, you'll know."

I sighed, putting my head in my hands. "I just wish we could hurry this process up, though. I hate this in between part. We don't dislike each other, but yet we can't even be in the same room. It's killing me."

"Just be patient Aspen, you'll figure it out." Maggie stands up, squeezing my shoulder in reassurance, and makes her way to the door.

"Oh also, all of this tension can make for some mind blowing sex in the end." She said, winking as my face turned bright red.

"Maggie!" I gasped.

She laughed. "I'm just teasing. But what happened with you and Thomas? I saw you explode at him."

I sighed. "I just realized I didn't want to play his games anymore. I'm over him, and I hope he keeps his distance." In reality, I hadn't seen Thomas in a while. I was trying my best to forget about him, and hoped he wouldn't be too much of a bother.

"Well let me know if you need anything." Maggie said as she left the cell. I sat on the bed for a little longer, letting myself have a few quiet moments before I made my way down to the common area. There are a few people milling around, but I didn't see Daryl or Rick.

I began to make my way over to Glenn, when I heard a commotion at the back of the room. I turn, and see Daryl running in. I feel my face flush, until I see that he's holding Carol in his arms.

Carol?! Why is he holding Carol?! I force the anger back. It's probably nothing Aspen. Calm down.

Daryl brings Carol to a chair and sets her down gently. People crowd around her, but I stay back.

Soon, Hershel comes walking into the room with Rick in tow. My eyes widen as I take in Rick. He looks horrible. He's covered in blood, and he had very dark under eye bags.

Carl runs to meet him, holding his new daughter in his arms. Rick stops suddenly, watching them. He walks over slowly, and takes his daughter in his hands. He's says nothing, and his face is devoid of any emotion. He quickly gives her back to Carl, and walks out of the prison.

I walk over to Hershel. "What happened back there?"

"I found him in a room, talking on a phone. I thought he had found another group, but it turns out he was hallucinating. He thought was talking to Lori, but no one was there. He's not in good shape Aspen, I'm afraid we might be losing him." Hershel shakes his head as he walks away.

I sigh as I feel someone walk up behind me. I turn around and see Glenn.

"Hey, I know it's been a rough couple of days for you." He starts, rubbing his hand through his hair. "But I was wondering if you'd want to come on a run with me and Maggie. We've just got a couple of things to pick up for the group and the baby. We think it'd be good for you to get out of the prison."

I turn, looking for Daryl, but see he's still caring for Carol. "Sure, I'll go. Let's get out of here." I said, storming out of the prison. It's not like Daryl wants me here anyways.

—————

It's actually a beautiful day out. The sun is shining, but there's a cool breeze that keeps it from being too hot.

We walk in silence, except for the occasional conversation between Maggie and Glenn. I find myself too caught up in my own thoughts to add anything to the conversation.

Eventually, we reach the town. There is a convenience store a few buildings down, and we make our way over there.

We manage to get all of the supplies we need without too much hassle. There were a few walkers in the store, but we took them out without a problem. It seemed that we would get away without any resistance, when all of a sudden we heard a voice that stopped us in our tracks.

"Drop your weapons!" Glenn and I spin around, seeing Maggie being held by a man that had a gun to her head. "Now!"

All of a sudden, I recognize the face. "Merle? You're alive?" Glenn and I are stunned.

"Ya bet I am. Now drop your weapons!" We slowly lower our guns and knives to the ground, as neither of us want to see Maggie hurt. "Now, both of you in the truck!"

Merle points to a vehicle beside us. We slowly get in the front seats as he and Maggie get in the back. He keeps the gun to her head the entire time, to make sure we cooperate.

"Start the car. Make a left at the end of this street." He commands Glenn.

"Can you at least tell us where we're going?" Glenn asks.

"You'll see." Merle responded, with a smirk.