t h i r t y

Rick's POV:
I was up as soon as the sun slid its rays through the bars of the windows in the cell block. I pulled on a shirt, not having to worry about waking Lori because I moved into my own cell. I couldn't take her anymore. She was constantly telling me she agreed with my decisions, and then when I did something, she acts like I made the wrong decision. I was just done with her.

As I walked down the stairs, I saw Daryl was the only other one up, so I made my way over to him.

"Hey man." I greeted him. He just grunted in response. He had been distant from the group since Aspen died. I'll admit, I hadn't felt the best lately, but I had to put a face on for everyone. They expected me to be the leader, and I didn't want to let them down.

We sat in an awkward silence while the others slowly trickled in. I started talking to Glenn, and in that time Daryl disappeared. After a while I said goodbye to Glenn and made my way over to the front of the group. I saw that Thomas wasn't up yet, so I decided now was the best time to tell them the news.

"Alright everyone, listen up. I know we've been going through some hard times with losing Aspen," I paused as I cleared my throat. "But I'm very proud to say that we were able to clear this block and the field. I just wanted to let ya'll know that yesterday night Thomas was found in the catacombs." People began to mumble, most did not seem happy. "I hope ya'll will welcome him with open arms."

I knew most weren't going to be happy, but I even received a few glares and eye rolls. Daryl seemed particularly upset at the news. Thomas really made an impression for himself. "Also, today I'm going to take a group out to investigate and clear more of the catacombs. We need to head out soon so Daryl, T-Dog, Glenn, Maggie and Hershel, would you mind meeting me over by the stairs? Thank you. The rest of you, stay close. I don't want anyone running off and getting lost."

I went over to the stairs and the group fixed themselves with weapons. Once we were all ready, we took off into the dark depths of the prison.

DAYS LATER

Maggie's POV:
The last couple of days had been a whirlwind. We found prisoners that had been stuck in the cafeteria since before the apocalypse. We had to tell them how the world fell apart. One of them was scratched, so we had to put him down. Their leader was out of control, so Rick had to eliminate the problem. One followed his leader in leaving this world, but two ended up being okay.

Dad was bit by a walker while we were exploring the depths, and Rick had to cut his leg off. He actually stopped breathing at one point, but Lori did CPR and saved him. He is still in bed, but he is steadily improving.

We're trying to get used to this life, but we're constantly looking over our shoulders. We spent so long outside without a permanent home that to have one now is unreal. Walkers aren't a problem unless you venture outside of the areas we've cleared.

Rick is still on edge though. His marriage with Lori is falling apart, and it doesn't help that the baby is due any day now. They always seem to be at odds and everyone can see it's weighing on them. They're not even sleeping in the same cell together.

It has been nice to kind of relax for the past couple of days though. We have started trying to grow a garden and build a canal so we can have fresh water inside the walls.  We will be able to make more advancements once Dad gets better though.

I walked out of my cell and out into the field. Once I reached the fence, I sat down and laid out in the grass. I thought about how just a few months ago it was my family alone in the farm house and then Rick showed up with his shot son and changed our lives.

I think about it all the time about whether we would still be in our farm house if they had not shown up, but I honestly wouldn't want that. I met so many wonderful people. Rick, Glenn, Aspen...

I would give anything to see her again.

I thought as I watched the sun dip behind the clouds.

Little did they know how much their life was about to change. For the better, and worse.