Carpooling

Jo's POV
I can't believe it's the begining of Senior Year. I've seriously waited far too long for this to come. Busting my ass to get perfect grades, so I can go to my dream college is what my plan is. I've been able to successfully achieve my goals so far. As I finally decide what to wear for my first day, I open my bedroom curtains and am met with a view of my former best friend working out. Hero.

We were inseparable during our childhood and even in the begining of middle school, sadly though he got busy with Hockey and I focused more on books and studying than sports. Drifting apart just seemed like it was in the cards for us. He's been away at Hockey training camp this summer (I know this because our parents are still best friends and neighbors of course) but he's back now for the school year- our senior year. He is actually quite hot now that I stare a little too long out at him. He's got an impressive 6 pack, and long flippy/wavy hair and oh my god he's staring at me! I'm in my unicorn pjs my little brother thought would be the perfect christmas gift to me last year.

I quick shut my curtains and whisper, "Shit! He did NOT just catch me staring?! Did he??"

"Josephine, sweetheart, You leave in 10. Be ready, I can't drive you for your first day, but I asked Hero's Mother if he could give you a ride, Dear" She smiles and walks away.

"Great. Just fucking Great. Here's to a very awkward car ride with my former best friend" I mumble.

Hero's POV
"Dude, I can't pick u up this morning. I'm taking Pidge to school I guess.." I text Cameron.

"Why Dude? Karassa is going to be pissed" He writes back.

"My Ma told me I have to. I'll be fine. See ya in 20" I text back, as I throw on my jeans, favorite hockey sweatshirt and my air jordans.

I totally caught Pidge staring into my bedroom as I worked out. I haven't seen her all summer and seeing her in unicorn pjs reminded me of when we were kids. When I hop into the car, I honk twice for Pidge to get a move on, I can't be late for first period. Coach is super strict about "school coming first".

When she walks out her front door, my jaw literally drops to the fucking floorboards. She's actually hot. Like really really hot. No more are her glasses, braces, and flat chest. She has on makeup, and she's wearing a pair of tiny white shorts that make her tan legs endless, a thin sweater and long loose wavy hair, that I am tempted to put behind her ear like I used to when we were kids, but I think twice on that.

"Hey, sorry I'm late" She smiles as she slides into the backseat.

"Why are you sitting back there Pidge?" I ask looking at her in the rearview mirror.

"Oh aren't you picking up your girlfriend?" She sheepishly asks, and adds, "and don't call me Pidge, that's such an embarrassing memory" She explains as she climbs into the front seat.

"What? Pidge is your nickname I gave you since we were kids, I saved your ass when you were scared out of your mind of that Pigeon" I laugh.

"Well that was a long time ago. Almost a whole another lifetime it feels like" She mumbles as she buckles her seatbelt.

"Yeah it sure feels that way sometimes" I say as I back out of the driveway and head towards our high school.

It has been months since I've talked to Pidge and it feels good to have her sit next to me. It almost feels somewhat normal until we pull up to the high school.

"You can let me out here" She instructs me.

"Really? You're seriously going to walk two blocks instead of just walking with me into school?" I ask almost disappointedly.

"I'm pretty sure Barbie would be pissed if I walked in with you on our first day of senior year. Plus I have a reputation to keep.." She rambles on.

"Oh. And what's that Pidge?" I ask her, ready for a low blow to my self esteem.

"I will never be one of your fangirls Hero. You are a player and I won't be just a number in your "book" She explains as she slams my car door.

"Nice talking with you too" I say more to myself than to her since she slammed my door.

So much for feeling normal with her again. We just seem to get on one another's last nerves.