The Fight

Jo's POV
I can't believe Hero asked me out. When we were younger, I always thought we'd end up dating or something, because being best friends- we did everything together. That birthday changed everything. Of course I've always thought of him, but it just wasn't always kind thoughts. I'm both nervous and excited? I mean, it's not like he's a blind date or anything... but this could change our friendship forever. I could either lose my best friend again or grow our friendship into more with him...

As I wait for Team sports to start, most of the guys are sitting together and chatting. I'm alone, until Cameron comes to sit next to me.

"Hey Jo" He grins.

"Hi Cameron" I say.

"Hero finally grew a pair, huh?" He chuckles.

"What do you mean?" I ask curiously.

"He asked you out...I've been predicting this would happen since like Kindergarten.." He trails off, as Hero approaches us.

"Cameron. Stop chatting with my team" He jokes as he sits next to me.

" Alright class! Let's start with 2o laps, then we will start our first unit- Volleyball" Our teacher says.

As I get up to start running, Hero pulls me back a bit.

"What are you doing?" I ask as I watch the rest of the class start running.

"You can't run in front of all those guys, Pidge. Your damn yoga leggings..." He whispers.

"Seriously?! Are my leggings the only thing on your mind this morning?" I ask, then quickly add, "actually don't answer that" when I see him smirk.

"Hero! Jospehine! Get a move on!" Our teacher yells.

As we start running, I side glance Hero and decide to make things a bit more interesting.

"Mr. Bodyguard? I think I can handle running on my own" I smirk when I see him take my pace instead of his usual speed, being the star like always.

"I'm just keeping you company.." He smirks back.

"Uh-huh. Sure Sure.." I reply when I pick up my pace.

"Oh. So you wanna race, huh?" He smirks back.

"You're on!" I exclaim, as we try to out run each other.

By the end of the 20 laps, both of us are sweaty and out of breath. But thankfully Our teacher, tells us to hit the showers, before the bell rings for first period to be over.

As I grab my locker caddy, I figure a quick shower couldn't hurt.. I have 15 minutes until the bell.

After I finish dressing, reapplying my makeup, and drying my hair, all in record timing. I head out of the locker room, as Cameron is pacing in front of me.

"What's wrong?" I ask him, seeing he looks nervous.

"Hero got into another fight.." He starts to say.

"What?! Just now?" I exclaim, kind of annoyed.

"Yeah, he's in the office" Cameron says, "cut the guy some slack. It was over you, Matt sent out a text to the hockey team a bit ago, saying you guys hooked up in his car yesterday.. Hero was pissed and let's just say Matt's lucky he still has a face.." Cameron explains.

"Oh my God. I wish I could talk to Hero" I say, when I hear all of this.

"Coach is benching him for the first game..this weekend.. I'm guessing he's getting his ass chewed right now from both coach and his parents. I gotta head to class, but just wanted to fill you in before rumors fly around you" He smiles a genuine smile.

"Thanks Cameron. That actually means a lot" I tell him.

"Actually Hero's idea. He said to text him when you can.. see ya later" He says.

Wow. I guess Hero did have my best interest- when it came to Matt. What a slimebag. I can't believe I almost hung out with him for real. As I grab my chemistry book for next period, I send Hero a text quick, before being late.

"Hey. I'm so so srry. It's all my fault" I text.

"Stop. I'm not srry for what i did to him" He writes back.

"I'll bring your chem homework after school, maybe we can hang?" I text Hero.

"Ma is pissed, I'll c if I can" He writes back, just as the bell rings.

I was actually looking forward to our first Chemistry assignment together, but guess I'm solo on this one.

The rest of the day is kind of a blur. I paid attention, but my thoughts kept returning to Hero. I know missing the first game is a big deal, especially for his record, so I can't help but feel guilty for trusting Matt, when he told me to be careful. I successfully avoided Karassa and her friends all day, and kept to myself, unless it was Claire. When the final bell rings at 3:30, I realize. Shit. I don't have a ride. Oh well, guess I'll try texting Mom, but she had an overnight shift at the hospital starting at 2. When I get outside, I see Hero's car waiting for me, as he tapes his stirring wheel to the beat of a song.

"What? How did you get out of the house?" I ask surprised as I climb into his car.

"Told Ma you needed a ride. She's a huge softy when it comes to you Pidge. I think she'd move mountains if you needed her too" He chuckles.

"Wow. Well thank you. I wasn't sure what I was gonna do.." I explain.

"I'm really sorr-.." I start to say, but he stops me by placing his hand on my thigh and says, "let's not talk about it anymore, ok Pidge?" He smiles.

"Okay.. bu-.."

"Do I have to kiss you to stop you from apologizing?" He smirks.

"I mean, if you think that would work?" I smirk back as I look out the window, as he grabs my hand and kisses my palm.

Okay so not what I thought he was going to do..

The rest of the car ride is comfortable silence as we listen to the radio and also try to figure out the silly trivia question the radio DJ is asking.

Once we get to our houses, I keep it casual and head towards mine when I get out.

"Hey wait." Hero says as he jogs to my front steps.

"Yeah?"

He kisses my lips, just a quick peck, and winks at me as he turns around.

"Thanks for the Chem notes, partner" He says.

"You're welcome, Captain" I giggle, as I head inside.

Wow. What A Day I've had.