The Big One-Eight

JANUARY ENDED AND February arrived with rain and thunder, and I found myself wrapped up in Sebastian's arms more often than not, spending days cuddling and talking about anything and everything under the sun

Somewhere in between Valentine's day and the days leading up to my birthday, however, things changed.

         I'd go to Sebastian's place and he'd be out, Victor telling me he hadn't returned home in days. He began missing school again and I worried that with all the absences he'd been racking up he'd never graduate. Devin and Hunter were worried too, I could tell. But they knew no more than me.

        He wasn't answering my calls and he hardly texted me. I felt myself getting worried, anxiety clawing at me at every waking moment. I wasn't sure if this detachment had something to do with me or something else. Whatever it was, I was slowly and surely losing my mind.

        My eyes peel open and I shut off my alarm clock, rubbing my eyes. It takes me all of 45 seconds to realize it was my birthday. I hadn't heard from Sebastian in four days.

        It was a Saturday, which was a blessing considering the Academy only served as a reminder of my boyfriend's disappearance and I hardly had the energy to walk through the day with my friends at my side, talking about Sebastian as they tried to piece where he could be.

        Oba had an idea for a small gathering at our place, nothing major. I had told her I didn't really feel like celebrating my 18th, partially because the whole birthday party thing is a bit outdated now and mostly because I couldn't spend too long socializing without being crippled with worry for Sebastian.

        Nevertheless, we decided to just have a small get together, just her, the twins, and all my friends. I was looking forward to seeing Hayley who I haven't seen since we went dress shopping for Robyn. Other than that, I had little to no motivation to get out of bed.

        I grab my phone and scroll through the endless "happy birthday!" messages, desperately looking for his name. When I come up empty, I chuck the phone across the room, rubbing my hands over my eyes. "Happy birthday, Braylen," I mumble to myself, rolling out of bed and sauntering up to my closet.

        I've just finished dressing when my door is suddenly burst open and there's Robyn, the twins, the guys, Hayley, and Oba. They're carrying a chocolate cake with coconut flakes on top and two candles, a '1' and an '8.' "Happy birthday!" they boom out, and a slow smile spreads to my face.

        "Cake for breakfast? A guy can get used to this," I joke, going around and hugging everyone. When I get to Devin, he wraps me up in an easy hug, his ear next to my lips. "Anything?" I whisper, trying and failing to hide the desperation in my voice.

        He pulls away and gives me a slight shake of his head. "I'm sorry."

        I shrug and continue on to Robyn who plants kisses on both my cheeks. "Happy birthday, little brother," she says, grinning from ear to ear. "You're going to love your present. Hint! It's something you can wear and it is fierce."