Hometown

TW // Mention of Child Abuse

        I WAKE UP to the unmistakeable feeling of someone tapping on my shoulder continuously. "Braylen!" Sebastian snaps and my eyes fly open, glaring at him as I blink rapidly. "Finally, you're awake. Get up and get dressed. We're getting breakfast."

        I turn and glance at the clock next to us and am dismayed to find it to say 10:08. The bastard let me sleep for seven hours.

        "Ugh," I moan, rolling over onto my side and peeking at him through half-closed lids. "I'm tired."

Sebastian smacks my face softly and continuously until my eyes flutter open and I bring my hands to grab his. "You can sleep later. This day is about you and me, remember?" he murmurs, smirking at me.

I sigh and pull myself from the covers, stretching my back and being rewarded with a nice crack. The sun peeks in through the curtains. It's a good omen. Maybe we won't freeze to death.

"Give me 30 minutes," I get out with a yawn as I trek into the bathroom. "And don't ever wake me up like that again."

While I showered, Sebastian ordered us room service, waffles with whipped cream and so many slices of bacon I didn't know what to do with myself. We ate as we got dressed in flannels and jackets. By the time we made it outside, my stomach was stuffed and my heart was full. It was suddenly so weird seeing Sebastian in a huge winter jacket, his nose red from the cold. He looked absolutely adorable and I couldn't help the butterflies blooming in my stomach.

I hail a taxi and rattle off our destination and as he drives off, I slide closer to Sebastian. His arm is around me instantly and our fingers find each other, his fingers running along mine slowly. We don't speak and I can feel the feelings hanging in the air above us. I knew he could feel the shift in me, the way I moved differently around him since we'd made it to Maine. I knew that he wanted to ask about it, had been wanting to ask about it since the plane ride. I didn't know what I would say if he did.

"Old Port," the man grumbles and I pay him quickly as we get out of the small taxi. I slide my hand into Sebastian and he seems to be happy at the contact. He squeezes my hand once and pulls me closer to him so that our arms are touching.

"You've been here before?" Sebastian muses as we walk down the slick sidewalks. Our footsteps seem to fall in line naturally and I blush at how much this pleases me.

I swallow hard, glancing up at him. "My school went up to the ferries one day for a field trip. I signed my own permission slip. It was pretty good for a third grader, if I do say so myself."

Sebastian chuckles, wrapping an arm around my shoulders and pulling me closer to him. "Are you okay?"

I scrunch my nose. I figured it made no sense to try to lie to him. He read me entirely too well. "I don't know if I can explain to you how I'm feeling."