The Trouble with Trust

ROBYN STOPS THE car in front of Sebastian's house, parking next to the curb

        ROBYN STOPS THE car in front of Sebastian's house, parking next to the curb. She looks over and smiles at me, all bubbles. I was happy to see that the events of last week weren't weighing her down as much it was me. "You're sure you wanna do this?"

        I nod even though my face is chiseled in a grimace. "I have to," I murmur. "I'd do anything for him."

         "Right," Robyn agrees. "Because you're in love with him."

        I don't even have it in me to be surprised she knows. "How could you even possibly know?"

        Robyn giggles. "You're such an open book, Bray-bear. Or maybe I just know you. Look, if this is what you've gotta do, do it. Ash won't be very happy about it, though."

        "I know," I mumble and then take a deep breath. "Okay, I'm going in. Wish me luck?

         She leans over and kisses my cheek. "You don't need it."

        I climb out of her front seat and sink my feet into the pavement. My heart thuds as I get closer to Sebastian's door. I raise a hand and knock softly.

        A few moments pass and I consider running back to Robyn when suddenly the door swings open.

        Victor's brown eyes stare back at me, confusion in them. "Braylen. Hi."

        I offer him a weak smile. "I, um. Came here to talk to you. And Rachel. Is she here?"

        "Getting some drinks with her girl friends. Would you like to come in?" he asks, giving me a friendly smile. "We can talk in there."

        I nod and he turns around and walks into the house. I follow him, shutting the door behind me and follow him into the kitchen. Victor pours a glass of water and hands it to me. "Thanks," I mumble, running my fingernail along the rim.

        "I'm very sorry for my wife's behavior the last time we all met. It came as a bit of a shock and—"

        "Is she homophobic?" I blurt, glancing at him. Victor sighs once but I don't even give him the opportunity to speak. "I meant what I said. Although it was harsh, it was all true. Sebastian and I didn't ask to be this way. And I'm not here to apologize for it, either."

        Victor runs a hand over his chin. "What are you here for, then?"

        I sigh. "I have known him for eight years. I have watched him grow up, get in trouble. I've seen him happy and I've seen him in pain but Victor, it wasn't until I got close to him that I saw that he was broken. There's so many things he's been through all alone simply because he felt he couldn't come to you guys. I'm not trying to tell you how to parent your child—"

        "You are, though," Victor interjects with an amused smile. The smile quickly leaves his face and he takes in a breath. "I always wanted a son, you know. Wanted to take him fishing, golfing, play football in the park. Almost had all of that, too. My ex-wife Kelly was pregnant with a boy."