Who You Are

WHEN I HEAD back downstairs, Sebastian is vomiting into a blue plastic bucket held by Hunter

WHEN I HEAD back downstairs, Sebastian is vomiting into a blue plastic bucket held by Hunter. He looks into the bucket and wrinkles his nose. "Ugh! When'd you have spaghetti?"

"What is that? Why is he throwing up?" Devin demands. My aunt sighs softly, turning Sebastian onto his side and pulling his hair out of his face.

I don't see his head, but from everyone's reaction, it must be pretty bad.

"He's injured his head again. He really oughta see a doctor," she mumbles. "A brain doctor, I mean. I know the basics about concussions, though. He'll be fine."

I stand in the corner of the room, back pressed against the cool wall. I'd changed out of my robes and was now just wearing a plain tee along with a pair of black sweatpants. I hoped my face wasn't red and blotchy like it usually is when I'm upset.

The word "gay" kept bouncing around in my mind. I wish there was some way I could tell it to shut up.

Sebastian mumbles something unintelligible. Oba starts, bending down to look at his face. "What was that, dear?"

"Wh-where...is B-Braylen?" Sebastian croaks. All eyes in the room turn to me and I realize I can't just hide in the corner forever. I push myself off the wall and sidle up to the table, sitting on one of the stools. Sebastian's eyes light up as he takes me in and I feel my heart plummet to my stomach.

Robyn was right.

"Hi," he whispers, attempting a half-smile. "I-I've really m-messed things up this t-time, huh?"

I smile a bit too, clutching the table. "You're gonna be okay. I promise."

"Okay," he slurs, shutting his eyes. "What's that n-noise?"

I turn to my aunt. The room was silent save for his heavy breathing. "What does it sound like, Sebastian?" she asks, continuing to clean up the wound.

He winces. "Ringing."

"Oba," I murmur. She hushes me and I clamp my lips together, looking back down at Sebastian. He gives me a small smile. I return it as best as I can. "You've gotta be strong, okay?" I whisper, hoping only he can hear me.

"I'm s-stronger than you," he jokes, grin widening. Sebastian reaches his hand up, touching my face gently. "Were you crying?"

I shake my head and pull his hand away inconspicuously, trying my best to laugh off his affection. I didn't want anyone to see us like that. Not even Robyn. "No, I'm fine. Is he supposed to be this woozy?"