Fourth Grade All Over Again

"YOU HAVE A lot of explaining to do, Braylen Adams," Robyn says, reaching over and taking a piece of my chocolate croissant

"YOU HAVE A lot of explaining to do, Braylen Adams," Robyn says, reaching over and taking a piece of my chocolate croissant. I make a face at her and she raises a finger. "I deserve this. There's something going on between you and your archenemy and you didn't even tell me!"

"Robs," I groan, taking a sip of coffee.

She shakes her head. "No. You can't do that. You can't patronize me, Bray. I saw it with my own eyes. And I know you two ate lunch together. What's going on?"

I blow a raspberry, trying to figure out what to say. I didn't want to lie to Robyn but I couldn't tell her the truth either. "Okay. Okay, when you ditched me at the party I found him there. I took him home and we talked a little and that's it."

"Why'd you storm out, then? At lunch?"

I bite my lip, ripping a piece of the croissant off and shoving it into my mouth. Robyn sighs, reaching over and grabbing my plate and shoving it away from me. "Hey! I was eating that!"

"Talk! What happened at lunch?"

I swallow hard. "He just knows how to get under my skin. That's all. We're fine now."

"So you two are a 'we' all of a sudden?" Robyn presses, tucking her hair behind her ear. "Braylen, need I remind you he posted photoshopped pictures of you all around the school? Riding a unicorn? Naked?!"

I roll my eyes. "You couldn't see my junk."

"Yeah, 'cause the unicorn horns covered it!" Robyn spits. "And now all of a sudden you two are best friends?"

Reaching across the table, I loop my fingers around Robyn's. "You are my best friend. Sebastian and I aren't anything together, okay?" I gnaw on my lip, needing to figure out a way to convince her. An idea comes to mind. "I was actually just thinking of how I could get him back. You know for the Mabel thing last semester."

"Yes!" Robyn squeals. "Scheming. Finally, something normal."

I laugh as she hands me back my croissant. She takes a sip of her drink before sighing softly. "Promise me something?"

I raise an eyebrow. "Anything."

"Promise me that you will never, ever, ever even think about being friends with that guy, okay?"

I swallow hard. "Since when did you hate him so much?"

"Since he made my best friend suffer for eight years of his life!" Robyn exclaims.

"I wouldn't say suffer," I mutter. Robyn makes big eyes at me and I sigh. "Okay, fine. I promise."

She makes a face. "That wasn't convincing. Spit swear?"