Talk Me Down

TW // Suicide

TW // Suicide

MY EYES NARROWED as I took in Ash's lean figure standing on the balcony ledge. It was thicker than most and easily covered both of his feet, but one wrong move and he'd...

"Sebastian," I murmur. He doesn't turn around. I walk deeper into what looked to be an unused guest room and take a deep breath. "Sebastian, get down from there."

He turns around slowly, cocking his head to the side. His eyes were bloodshot and his skin was pale against the black sky. And he was laughing. "What? Y-you think I'm gonna fall, Adams? That's it? Scared I'm gonna fall?"

He slips his leg out from underneath him and I gasp. With a grin, he straightens himself back up and I feel my heartbeat return to semi-normal when I realize it was only a joke. "Sebastian, this isn't funny."

"You know, if I fell, I'd win. You haven't gotten me back since that girl...Marley, was it?" he asks, taking a swig from a bottle I hadn't even noticed he was holding. Vodka. "Or, you could always push me. That'd be an ultimate win for you, eh?" Sebastian shoots me a playful wink.

I swallow hard, moving forward a bit more. "Sebastian, please get down. You're drunk, you're not thinking clearly—"

"Actually, I don't think I've ever thought this clearly, Braylen," he interrupts, all traces of a smile leaving his face. "And you wanna know what I think? I think this world would be better off. I think you'd be better off if you didn't have to worry about me striking every day. My mom and stepfather wouldn't have a disappointment as a son. My friends wouldn't have to deal with me."

The sadness echoes in his voice and he looks down. I follow his eyes and see the large cement ground that was waiting for him. I gulp. "Get down."

"I'm nothing," he whispers, so low I can barely hear him. "I'm nothing. I've always been nothing, I'll always be nothing. I mess everything up. I—"

"Stop that, okay?" I shout. He turns to me, face ashen. "You don't get to do that. You don't get to stand there and feel sorry for yourself. Your family loves you. That's why they're paying for you to go to the Academy, that's why you drive a Range Rover and have a nice house. I don't have any of that, Sebastian. None of it."

Sebastian scoffs. "Is that supposed to make me feel better? You think 'cause you're hurting that my pain doesn't mean anything?"

"No," I say, stepping onto the balcony. He stiffens as I get closer to him and I take a deep breath, trying to figure out how to go about this. "I'm saying...I'm saying you're not nothing, Sebastian. You never were. If you do this...if you jump, your problems won't be solved. I mean, do you know what this would do to your friends, your family? They'd be devastated."

He sniffs. "They'd get over it."

"No. No, they wouldn't," I whisper. "Give me the bottle."