Make-ups at Moku

TW// MENTION OF DRUG ABUSE

"HI," HE MUMBLES, looking up at me. His blue eyes seemed softer than normal and made my stomach flip. He seemed a bit more worn out than I was used to, no doubt due to his seizure from only a week ago. I clench my jaw and sit down across from him, acting as if I needed to weigh out my options on the menu. "You cut your hair."

I look up at him, shocked he'd even noticed. It was almost back to the length it was before I cut it. "Yeah."

"Why?" he asks curiously, leaning forward on his elbows.

I lick my lips. "You liked it when it was long."

His shoulders crumple a bit. "Braylen, I didn't know that they were doing this. Honestly. But I'm not upset about it."

I don't ask why, but he tells me anyway. "I have been...tearing myself apart these past few weeks. I've missed the hell out of you and it's torture walking around school and acting like I...acting like I don't care about you. Because I do. I always have."

"Should I get green tea or black? The weather is making me lean towards black but green tea is always a go—"

"I know you were the one that talked Devin through my seizure. If you hadn't...I don't know what would've happened. And because you helped me I know some part of you cares. I'm trying to tell you how I feel right now, Braylen."

I set the menu down, jaw tightening. "You don't get to do this, Sebastian. It took me weeks to even start trying to get over you. And now that I'm finally moving on, you suddenly have this heartfelt message about how you've always cared about me? It's a load of bull and you and I both know it. I thought I could do this. I was wrong. See you later."

I stand up to leave, shaking my head as I walk further away from him. "Braylen, wait!" Sebastian shouts. I keep walking, completely fed up. "I didn't cheat on you!"

I stop in my tracks. I could feel every eye in the restaurant turn to us and our drama fest. I turn back around to Sebastian, blushing. He licks his lips, looking very uncomfortable from outing himself in front of this restaurant full of strangers. "I didn't...I wouldn't do that."

"Then what?" I ask, lifting my arms up before dropping them at my sides. "Who was he? Why did you always lie about everything?"

Sebastian motions to the table. Of course. If I wanted a confession I'd have to sit back down. Heaving a sigh, I climb back into the booth, sitting with my legs crossed. Neither of us talks for a while but after we place our orders he runs his hand along his chin.

"I've never been the smartest guy," Sebastian starts, playing with the soy sauce left on the table. "I think with my heart more than my head and it's gets me in trouble. I do what feels right when it feels right and forget whatever consequences may come."