The Ruining

HUNTER SHOVES THE last mini cupcake in his mouth and Devin shoves his shoulder

HUNTER SHOVES THE last mini cupcake in his mouth and Devin shoves his shoulder. "I was gonna eat that!"

"Sorry," he says with a grin full of chocolate.

The incident at the Halloween Bash had made us all become an unlikely gang of friends, in spite of Robyn and Sebastian's mutual distaste for the other. Hayley and I were perched on the Devin's couch while Devin, Hunter, Sebastian, and Robyn were sprawled across respective chairs or the floor. We were watching some trashy reality TV show and gorging ourselves on chicken wings and whatever else Devin had in his pantry.

Thanksgiving was this Thursday and the other guys already planned a potluck since most of their families weren't going to be around for dinner. Sebastian's parents had business out of state—I wasn't entirely sure what they did when he'd briefly mentioned it, but they were in Belize working out deals for their newest hotel chain. Devin's parents were staying at their home in Aspen for a couple's retreat; he'd said they didn't really want him to go and he saw no joy in being there. Hunter's family was dining together, but he'd rather stay with his friends.

Robyn, Hayley, and I had obligations to our families on Thursday, but I'd brought up the idea to have the potluck that Friday instead. I knew as soon as I'd shared the potential plan with Sebastian that it was a good idea. His eyes lit up as soon as I'd told him about it.

We didn't talk about the words I wasn't able to say after the prank or his awful relationship with his parents or my growing feelings for him. Most of the time we spent together was him giving me surf lessons. It'd become a weekend ritual for us to wake up at the butt crack of dawn and spend the entire Saturday together. It easily became my favorite day of the week.

"No way! How could they eliminate him? Look at that face!" Robyn screeches, throwing a napkin at the TV. Devin looks over at her, a small smile on his face. He looks away before anyone can notice and I fight a smile.

Hayley plays around with my hand before lacing her fingers through mine. I smile at her with as much feeling as I can before turning back to the show.

Things between Hayley and I were weird, to say the least.

She didn't know about my confusion with my sexuality. How could I even start that conversation? "Hey, Hayley, you're hot and everything but I think I might be gay!" Hayley was a great girl and I didn't just want to let her go if I wasn't sure about who I was first. For all I knew, this "crush" on Sebastian could be temporary, just him and I becoming good friends.

But if that was the case, it didn't explain why the world seemed to stop spinning every time he looked at me.

"He looks like he's in his forties, Robs," I mumble, rubbing circles on Hayley's leg. "Doubt he could even keep up with those kids."