All Washed Up

TW// MENTIONS OF DRUG ABUSE

        ON SUNDAY NIGHT, Sebastian and I clock in at the same time as the other six days, a devious grin on both of our faces. We were dressed the same as we'd been dressing for the entire week: sweatpants and hoodies. The one difference? Flip flops.

       "You're sure this is a good idea?" I whisper to Sebastian as he reads over our list of tasks for the day.

       He skims over the paper and then a bright grin crosses his face. "I think this is a perfect idea." Sebastian hands me the paper and I see the words CLEAN UP MAIN OFFICE front and center. "I mean, come on. This is the universe telling us that our plan is solid."

        I scrunch my nose. "I only took Tech my sophomore year, Seb. This is advanced stuff."

        Sebastian puts down the paper and turns back to me. He reaches forward and grabs my shoulders, peering down at me. "Listen to me. Windsor has tormented us for years. We finally have the chance to get back at him. How can you not want to take it?"

       "It's risky," I mumble, frowning up at him.

      "Life is meant for risks, Braylen. Now come on." Sebastian grabs my arm and tugs me down the hall and into the main office. It was a pretty big room, filled with desks and tables and strewn with papers. Our task was to sort through those papers, though I was sure it'd go mostly undone tonight. There were far more pressing matters.

For the first thirty minutes, Sebastian and I rifle through the papers silently. I tap my foot anxiously as we do, trying very hard not to make any sudden movements that'd be noticeable on the tape. Sebastian and I agreed we needed to be as boring and generic as possible.

At about a quarter to nine, Sebastian stands up slowly and walks behind the counter, away from the cameras. I wait for a few beats and then do the same until I'm right next to him.

       Sebastian glances behind him as he leads me into the tiny tech room. It's used for the video footage and intercom. I glance at the equipment and bite my lip. Sebastian stands behind me and I can practically feel his nervous energy. "Well?" he presses.

"I can do it," I mumble. "But you owe me big time."

Sebastian wraps an arm around me with a hearty laugh. "This is the big leagues, baby. Do your thing."

I roll my eyes and shrug away from him, quickly pressing the buttons on the camera footage system. I find the footage of us going through the papers earlier and loop it. "Here," I say, and show Sebastian the new and improved recording. "I set the loop for two hours. We need to be back by then so we can pretend like we're clocking out."

"You're a genius, Braylen Adams. A genius."

I fight back a blush and continue typing, shutting down the cameras everywhere else. "Hopefully, he won't check the tapes from other rooms, but if he does it could just be a power shortage. He'll have all this footage of us in here; that's our alibi," I explain. "Okay. Good to go?"