You weren't there

You had been helping your boyfriends aunt at the homeless shelter she runs, for the past few months. Ever since Martin lee became a known villain really. You would rush over after school then you would help cook meals and clean the building while also chatting with the kind people inside. It was like a second home to you at this point and every night you would walk out to your car with May and return to your apartment.

But this night was different.

"Oh I'll be right back, I left my keys inside" you laughed to May as you ran back into the building. When you came back out though you saw a sight that paralyzed you with fear. "May? W-What's going on?" You managed to choke out, taking a small step closer to the woman.

"Don't move!" The masked man shouted his gun still trained on the woman who had been your mentor.

"Please, I'm begging you please don't hurt her!" You cried to the man, slowly stepping in between them.

"Fine then, I suppose you'll both work as fine bait" the man stated before you felt a cold hard pressure on your head and fell to the ground seeing blackness.

"Y/n!" You heard the faint scream of May call out to you.

~~~~~

"Y/n? Are you alright?" May asks, waking you up from your dazed state. You tried to move but soon learned your hands were tied together behind you and you were stuck in a chair next to May.

"Oh May, yes I'm fine, are you okay?" You ask back, worried for the older lady.

"Enough chatter! Now one of you is going to tell me who Spider-Man is" a man demands stepping into the dim light.

"We won't tell you anything!" You shout knowing Peter will save you in time.

"Does this little girl speak for you?" He asks leaning in close to May, making you uneasy.

"She's right, we won't tell you anything" May stated confidently.

"Well if that's how your gonna play I guess I'll have to bring him to me myself" the man said pulling out a gun and pointing it at Mays head.

"No!" You shout but are cut off by the deafening sound of a gunshot. At that moment the large doors are knocked down and a team of policemen storm inside. As soon as one of them untie you, you rush over to your mentor.

"I'm sorry" she choked out with her last breath as you held her in your lap with tears streaming down your face.

"Ma'am I'm going to need you to step outside" a police officer ordered, holding your shoulder. You silently nodded and followed his directions.

You stumble outside dizzily to the flashing lights and a crowd of people.

"Miss let me check you out" a doctor offers approaching you carefully as you are spacing out. You brush past him looking for Peter knowing you needed him right now just as much as he would need you when he received the news.

You stumbled towards the masked hero as he jumped down to meet you.

"Hey hey hey, what's wrong?" He asked reaching for your face but you flinched away from him.

"You always said you'd be there for me, so how did this happen? why weren't you there?" you yelled to your boyfriend as he had finally shown up to the scene.

"Woah woah, slow down, what happened?" he asked trying to calm you down not knowing of the death you had just witnessed.

"They killed her Peter" you sobbed quietly.

"No no no no!" Peter yells his anger overtaking him.

"I don't think we should see each other anymore" you claim before walking away steadily as the boy was still trying to gain his overwhelming thoughts.

"Wait y/n, wait!" he shouts after you but you don't look back.

A few months later you both pass each other in the hallways at school not daring to speak about that night when Peter wasn't there. You could tell he was hurting and he could say the same about you but you thought it was for the best. You couldn't watch anyone else get hurt.

——————————————————
Question of the day: what are your thoughts on Aunt May?

Don't forget to go read my Bucky Barnes x reader story called battle scars!