Light through the dark

TW: mentions of suicide, drugs use and alcohol use.

"Y/n, it's Ben" Peters uncle started as he called you late one night. "May, she-she was killed in a bank robbery" Ben choked out.

"Oh Ben I'm so sorry" you tried to hold back your own tears for the kind woman who you had grown up with as a second mother. "Do you need anything?"

"I think Peter would like to have you over to comfort him" Ben spoke softly, with a raspy voice from crying.

"Of course, I'm on my way" you promised, hanging up and running towards the door.

"Y/n?" Peter looked up at you through red puffy eyes.

"Oh Peter" you sighed at the poor sight before you. Red eyes from tears, hair messed up and tear stained cheeks, no smile anywhere to be found. You rushed over to him and pulled him in for a tight hug as you both cried, Peter more roughly than you as you tried to stay strong for him.

~~~

"Hey Ben uh I brought Peter his homework" you tell the saddened man as he opens the door for you.

"Come on in, I'm sure he'd love to see you" Ben smiled warmly as he stepped out of the way. You follow Ben inside, noticing all of the take out boxes littered around the place. You saw the laundry everywhere and the whole apartment was a mess.

"Hey Ben, Peters not here" you told him, entering the living room, careful not to step on the mess across the floor.

"Ugh that kid sneak out again?" He groaned.

"Ben, how are you doing?" You sat beside him with your genuine question.

"Well I'm—"

"Really" you cut him off to remind him you wanted an honest answer.

"I don't know what to do" he sighed. "Peter keeps sneaking out and I don't know what's wrong with him. Hell, I can't even take care of myself let alone a teenage boy" he began to rant about his worries and problems as you listened.

"I'll help" you told him out of the blue.

"What? No y/n you don't need to do that" Ben started to protest the idea.

"I want to Ben, please" you practically begged him to allow you to help. "I can help with laundry and cooking and keeping the apartment clean, at least until you get back on your feet"

"Thank you so much y/n, you really are the sweetest girl" he smiled kindly to you. "You can start tomorrow"

"Nope, I promised I would help you and I'm not putting that off, we need to start right now" you told him strongly.

"Okay, uh is there anything you need my help with?" He looked up at you.

"You just relax, I'll take care of everything." You promised the older man. Making your way towards the kitchen through the mess you found an even bigger mess sitting in what was supposed to be a clean kitchen. Plates and other dishes were piled up from the sink onto the counter and food laid around on the counters while the cupboards were almost empty. "Looks like I have my work cut out for me" you clapped your hands together before getting to work. Tying your hair back you made your way to the sink to begin cleaning the dishes and putting them away. This process alone took you almost two hours.

"Hey Pete!" Ben cheered with a bit more pep than when you had arrived. He was met with no response. "Oh uh y/n's here!" He started again as Peter entered the kitchen to find you putting away the last dish.

"Y/n" the teenage boy froze in place at the sight of you. "What are-what are you doing here?" He crossed his arms in front of his chest as he asked this.