Chapter ♦ 19

Zylith.

“Now while we’re still on the topic, I’d like to ask, have you never noticed any anomaly about yourself, ever?”

“What do you mean by anomaly?” Did he mean if I noticed if I was a freak or not? Now why did that irked me, I wonder. 

“Oh you know, like glowing eyes or super cleared vision, or perhaps, anything of the magical kind?”   

I looked at him with a deadpanned face and muttered in a bland voice, “No I haven’t.”

“Hmm, I see.”   He had a thoughtful look on his nice-looking face, “I suppose we will have to keep you under supervision till we uncover the truth.”

The food on the table had turned cold a long time ago, and Reuben & co. poisoned my appetite with threats and secrets.

I just silently stared at the delicious food before me, pity arousing in my heart for it would all be wasted.

“Fake Lizzy, you have a long day ahead of you tomorrow. Let’s be done with supper and retire to bed for an early rest. You too Lexter.” He eyed Alexteris meaningfully and said.

After a coarse meal, we finally retreated for the night, but Reuben didn’t return with me. I didn’t know what had him occupied but it seemed to be something urgent. Nevertheless, I didn’t bother asking him about his work. I was already neck-deep into his secrets; I didn’t want to know anything more for the night.

When my body finally touched the fluffy covers of my jewel-embedded bed, I felt more tired than I’d ever felt in years. Today, I nodded and bobbed my head to everything I was told, absorbing shell-shocking truths and secrets at a speed at which I was not accustomed to. My brain cells couldn’t keep up with the speed of absorption of those secrets, and I was in a danger of short-circuiting. I was still in a daze to all that had happened today, slowly recalling and recoiling at the revelations divulged to me.

I had to wrap my mind around so many things that I had already lost count of them all. But the fact that magic actually existed in this world had me go bonkers. I was elated, and at the same time stumped. Elated because, now I had a probable chance at going back home and stumped because it was still hard for me to digest it all. But nonetheless, I was physically, emotionally and mentally drained.

My tired eyes drooped in consequence, and before long, I drifted off into a restless sleep. The phobia of the 1000 lumen torchlight that Reuben had delivered me today, still loomed at the back of my mind even as I slept, so my sleep was especially edgy.  

I jerked awake when someone yelled ‘Your Highness, please wake up’ into my unfortunate ears early at dawn. As my sleep was of rather poor quality, so when I woke up, I felt like I died and forgot who I was.

I rubbed my tired eyes in a haze when I saw the people who woke me up. It was those damned spy-maids of the Queen Dowager. I raised my head up to look at the glittering gold ceiling, and sighed loudly as I screamed inside my head, ‘Why God, WHY! Why do You have to be so tactless about ruining my life, WHY?’

“Your Highness, please freshen up and get ready. His Majesty is waiting for you outside.” Said one of the many maids in an insipid voice.

I looked at her with a frown but didn’t continue to stare.  It seemed like these maids had already chosen their leader. I wondered with a frown, was it by voting or raw dominance?

From the corner of my eyes, I saw the little maid who got into trouble with the Queen Dowager standing timidly at the very back, trying to look very inconspicuous. But I didn’t mind her, for I still had time to deal with her at a later date.