Chapter ♦ 20

Reuben.

This Girl.

I looked at the petite girl with pale blue eyes who stood before me seeking answers I didn't want to respond to, her soft silky dress was illuminated by the light in the room. It trailed behind her and danced along her legs, growing smoother with every second.

Life with Fake Lizzy, as you call it, was never dreary. Sometimes even bafflingly amusing. 

At times, she was an open book, while at other times, she was the most mysterious soul I had ever come across. A part of her mystery was how she was calm in a storm while anxious in the quiet.

At times even, I could never guess her actions. Thinking about how she abused me without a care of the world on the morning of our first night together, or how she fell asleep during the offering regards ceremony. (Chuckle) Personally, I was not really angry. On the contrary, it was very amusing. I'd even say, I found her... oddly adoring when she started snoring midway of the service rite.

Thinking about it now, the seduction dalliance between my little wife and Cordelia under the table took the cake(Chuckle).

I was not aware of the happenings under the table until I noticed Cordelia's disgusting look of pure pleasure. I was a bit puzzled at first, but then, I heard my lady's abrupt shriek addressing the shameless princess and I finally understood the undertakings going on around me. I could hardly hold in my laughter when the big picture unfolded before me.

My lady Fake Lizzy, was truly a being to be reckoned with. She could topple any situation from grave urgency to jesting comical. My wife's waggishness knew no bound.

And then, I came to another understanding about her. She could extricate herself from any situation with a very level head. Surprisingly so, she knew about the lines she couldn't cross, she was very clear on when to back down. And I felt as if she could see and understand beyond her standings.

For such a wrecking character like her, I was very astonished to see that she understood the gravity of my existence and her role in all of this travesty. She looked timid, yet so very determined. As though she was both one and the same. As mystifying as she was, this woman was able to compel me to speak of things I was reluctant to.

I couldn't explain how I felt about her. I got irritated and helpless when dealing with her. Alike times like these. Where I was forced to unfold about happenings I wanted to keep buried deep inside of me.

I was driven to face my obsessions, my goals and the memories of that wretched night which left me as barren as the moors on a desolate winter morn.

It had been a long time since I was reminded of her. My mother, Queen Rumina of the fallen Edelburghs. Everything felt like it happened so long ago that I didn't even remember how she looked like. Some nights, I felt I could still see her, sitting in her wicker chair, as always; her soft, loving hands folded in her lap and her auburn tresses spilling down to the hem of her dress. But no matter how hard I try; I cannot fully see her face. Like a ship straining to see the light in a storm, I desperately search for a picture of her face in my memories. None comes. All I remember is the brightness of her sea-green eyes; the details of her face were gone, like her. And at the end of it all, the only remains was the grief and anger I felt when I watched the black letters and the grey background of her headstone blend together. The despair I felt when her light was consumed by death's emptiness, and my so-called father watched her get consumed with the harbinger of her death standing right by his side.