Chapter ♦ 27

Zylith.

Actually, the so-called Royal etiquette was not only limited to the Countess's 'Ready-to-go' command. Everyone, including the Queen Dowager and the nobles were keenly observing my movements from the moment they set foot into this ballroom.

I could tell they were trying hard to nit-pick my mannerisms and the way I carried myself. My inspection had started the moment I was surrounded by there bloodhounds and vipers. So I had to be very careful when I socialized with these supposed high-end bigwigs.

In fact, the Royal customs were not really something mere nobles could be a judge of. While being under the torturous tutoring of Old Hag Wroth, I discovered that all the etiquettes and proprieties I had previously learnt were nothing but a child's play. The Royal customs were much more complicated than that. Even though the Hag's classes sucked and to be truthful, I didn't really gain much out of her nagging but the books on etiquette provided me with a much vivid and in-depth knowledge about the royal customs of Reveldron.

It was soooo stupidly hard that I felt like I was reborn again as I adapted myself with the customs of the palace. It wasn't only related to walking or dressing up in a more royal manner, but it was more about the spirit. It was all about the mindset that put you above all else. In a way, you must be mindful of even a strand of your hair that had been misplaced. About the amount of noise you make while you walk or talk or even the simplest of actions like picking up a teacup to take a sip; Oh! And even the sound of the sip had to be controlled and meticulous.

If you ask my opinion, it was all a real big-ass hassle in the name of customs. Because come on! Who the hell gives a fck about the sound of your sip of tea. But sadly so, the Royals of Reveldron did, so I had no choice but to adapt with this crazy farce.

Countess Wroth waved at me to walk up to her, and I readily complied. Walking in a regal demeanour was a chore all on its own. Specially with high heels on, you have to always be mindful of your posture and you cant look down, your hands had to be tucked in front of you in a placid gesture befitting your status and your back, straight like a firm pole. You were not allowed to show even the hint of diffidence in front of your subjects and you are to be as confident and arrogant as though you are the master of this world.

I walked slowly but gracefully in front of my audience, putting everything that I had learnt in the past month in this one performance.

When I reached the Countess after exhibiting my performance, I reached out for my fan and in a swift flap, covered my mouth to showcase a royal's conduct while speaking, "Lady Wroth." I muttered in a clear but gentle tone.

"Yes, (Ahem!) Her Highness's performance was rather amusing, I must say. Though I was expecting a little better than that. Your walk just now was a bit tipsy on the side, don't you say?" I could hear hushed murmurs around me, people trying to gossip but not willing to get in trouble due to His Majesty's (Alexteris) presence.

"Well then, shall we proceed to the next test?" The countess continued and I nodded in silence.

The next inspection was on table manners where, as described earlier, normal noble were not allowed to make any noise with the cutlery, but the Royals were different. They had the privilege to make limited amount of noise while they ate, but it was Limited, and you should know the expanse of limited it was. When you were having food on the same table as the nobles, you are to cover your mouth with a fancy fan while you ate. Your food was to be cut into bitesize pieces by your personal maid-in-waiting(Training your maid-in-waiting was also one of the Queen's responsibility as the spouse of a monarch) while you sat, your spine is supposed to be erect in a dignified manner, and not a little of your inner emotion is to be visible on your face. I'd rather starve than maintain such table etiquettes which doesn't let you even breathe since you also have to be mindful of your attire. As I've said before, not a single strand of hair should be out of place as you carried out such rigorous customs.