Chapter ♦ 46

ZYLITH.

I gaped at the grizzly bear in front of me, or more accurately, the grizzly-like man in front of me. Now let me tell you the story of how I met this grizzly bear of a man.

The evening palace banquet that took place at an abrupt timing was in full bustle when the Queen Dowager came over and announced our V.I.P guest of the day, "Let me introduce you. This is my second uncle from my mother's side, a border general, Lord Geovelle Loghard. Uncle, this is my new daughter-in-law, First Queen Elizabeth Ronales the Regalious." The Queen Dowager chirped in a cheery voice.

I had just reached Alexteris's side and sat down when the crafty Queen Dowager's introduction came. My smile stiffened at the sudden intro, for I didn't know that this sewer rat was the Queen Dowager's uncle. I gave Alexteris a look, indicating that how dare he not inform me of such information beforehand, and then turned to greet this scum uncle of the Queen Dowager.

I saw a past middle-aged man of about forty-five. A lifetime of outdoors had weathered the face that resembled the Queen Dowager a little; and it had lost some of its aloofness. The many years of fighting had also marked his countenance with a harshness. But what really shocked me was his physique. He wore a hard steel that seemed to be hiding the explosive power of his honed physique. His corded arm muscles were far bigger than those of the boxers I'd watched on TV before. I swallowed with difficulty as I ogled at him. I had no doubts that his upper arm was thicker than his thigh. The expression "Arms can't beat legs" was definitely nothing but a myth to him.

But the most most important thing was his height. Even by a conservative estimation, it was at least two meters. Before such a pagoda-like giant, I felt we mortals can only bow in worship. This dude must be on steroids. Can normal people even grow this big?

"Greetings, Your Majesties." He mouthed in a gruff voice. "Hahaha.... I've heard that Your Majesty had gained a lovely lady who's both pretty, graceful, and talented. While I thought the rumors were a bit exaggerated at first, but now I see that all the praise for the First Queen is well-deserved." Though his mouth spoke politely, I didn't miss the lascivious glint in his eyes. Those lewd eyes that were sizing me up from top to bottom, how could I mistake such a look after having already encountered it once before!

I mentally snarled at this old fart with disgust, but didn't let anything show on my face.

"I didn't think that general Loghard would be so well-informed in the borderlands, but yes, my Queen has completely won my heart." Alexteris said with an amicable smile, his eyes narrowing as he raised his hand for a toast. Sometimes I had to give it to this guy, he maybe an insufferable dolt, but he sure knew how to act. Looks like the relationship between this general and Alexteris is as rocky as it appears.

"Tsk, to think that as soon as this bastard came back, he had the audacity to leer at the new Queen so blatantly, is he already drunk without a drop of wine down his throat?" Lord Xavier groused out in annoyance, his eyes squinting at the reflection of the sparkly chandelier in his wine glass.

"He's back to the capital after so long, and was so grandly welcomed both by the people and the monarch himself, of course his blood has to be a little vigorous and excited, now how could he hold back on his unashamed behaviours!" Fredurd standing guard beside Lord Xavier, carped in disdain.

"Nevermind, after all, we can't take any rash actions against him right now, all we can do now is wait and watch him like a hawk to seize onto his slightest mistakes." Lord Edgar Vilavelt, who was seated on the other side of Lord Xavier cautioned the two.

After the shallow greetings and pleasantries, the general took his seat as the guest of honor and the banquet began in full swing.

This general Loghard had brought along two of his subordinates and this duo seemed to be equally as evil as their superior. It's not that they did something that sat me off as wrong, it's just that their looks shouted out volumes about them.

As I was munching onto a savory cheese cake while contemplating about the general's minions' looks, I heard melodious music spiraling up in the air, like a soft birdsong in a vacant valley, like ripples of water in a spring.

Everyone turned towards the sound and watched as the dancers parted to reveal a charming young lady, playing a beautiful harp, while looking very much like a nymph in respite. It was a brilliant debut.

I was shocked by this battle formation, and the half-eaten cake in my mouth responded to the call of gravity and dropped onto the table. 'The Hell! What is this, the introduction of the female lead from some soap opera?' I strained my eyes at the pretty girl playing the pretty harp. And then whipped my head to the side to look at Alexteris drooling over the girl.

'The heck!? This numbskull! His eyes haven't left her at all since she had appeared. Does he have any idea of whose identity he is currently donning?' In sheer annoyance I jabbed at Alexteris's side with my elbow to shake him off his trance.

"Hmmmph!" The lad beside me gave off a muffled groan but fortunately held it in. He glared at me with a pointed look, but I didn't pay him much heed. My attention was totally grabbed by this harp-playing chick.

The intricate music hung in the air, shattering the silence that gripped the night. Vivid notes flowed from the young girl's pale, thin fingers. It brought to mind the poignant play of moonlight on water, the merry bubbling of a running stream. It brought to mind the sweet chime of jewelry on a lady's earlobes, the gentle rustling of a breeze through a bamboo forest.

When the song ended, everyone was stunned still. Whereas the young girl giggled and rose from her seat to make a deep curtsey.

"Greetings Your Majesties, I am Angela Darling of Balarack. Long live the King."

"Angela Darling? The renown songstress of Balarack?" Lord Xavier muttered with a slight frown.

Balarack was the bordering city of which general Loghard was incharge of. It was a rather drab city, without any exotic scenery or unusual element to attract tourist's attention, except for one thing.

Angela Darling.

It was said that the music of Angela Darling was so magical that even sirens would be compelled to sing to her notes. And people from all across the country would visit Balarack to only listen to her enchanting notes. However, it was also said that this Angela Darling was a very proud woman. Many a rich merchant and nobleman in Reveldron would give a fortune to hear her play but a single song, but she spurns them all. She would haughtily turn them away at the door, but it only incites more young noblemen to try.

And now this infamous Angela Darling was at the Reveldron palace door, so conveniently playing out her music!?

I didn't believe for a second that this hussy was here to just merely play the royal audience a song. Nope, even if you beat me to death, I wouldn't dare believe it.

I glowered at the soft-spoken girl with a hint of ridicule in my eyes as I drained a glass of champagne wine on the table(It was a rare opportunity to get to legally drink, no matter how unsatisfied I was with the situation, how could I not take advantage of the occasion and grab some booze).

".....My Lords," I faintly heard Fredurd's voice from behind me, addressing to Lord Xavier and Vilavelt. "I feel like we should warn His Majesty."

"Of what?"

"Her Highness is going to burst."

TO BE CONTINUED...........