Chapter ♦ 28

Zylith.

"It was all you!" The livid Countess Wroth pointed her bony fingers at me and bellowed like a fanatic old wacko. I didn't think it was necessary to show any reactions to her futile accusations. Hence, I remained expressionless while only staring at her pitiful form without a word.

"How dare you point at a Royal!" Alexteris bellowed in sheer wrath. Let me tell you something, accusing a Royal of a felony without evidence was a treason all on its own. Now that the Countess Wroth dared to point her fingers at me, Alexteris had every reason to charge her of treachery. So I silently cheered for the guy when he stood up in my defence. You go Lexter! Show them who's the Man!

"N-No Your Majesty! I didn't mean tha-thaghh... She is the only one who had a reason to frame my family. I.. ghaah.... She must have seduced my grandson behind your back.... N-No! I did not mean that...Aaagghhh! What's happening!!" She screamed in frustration as she tried hard to stop herself from talking.

"Clodian, you....! My dear boy, tell them. Tell them the truth! Tell them how this sly vixen tried to lure you." Now the Countess was literally going bonkers, or so it seemed. On the other hand, her grandson was shaking his head from side to side as he clenched his teeth to stop his speech.

She grabbed his outer coat and shook him hard while screeching like the hag that she was, "Come on my boy, don't fear. Your grandmother is with you. Who is she? Just one of the many unscrupulous women in the King's harem, she will be thrown away sooner or later after she had been used enough. You have nothing to fear. Come say what the truth is! Your grandmother shall not let anything happen to you." At this point, the Countess Wroth had stopped trying to plug her mouth and openly bared her fangs at me, demonstrating very clearly that I was just a mere concubine and nothing more in her eyes.

The numerous onlookers on the sidelines drew in sharp breaths when they heard her uncouth words, furiously chattering amongst themselves while pointing fingers at her. Even if they thought of me as a mere laughable concubine, they were sensible enough to not bring those words to their mouths for fear of committing a treason. But now that the old Countess had so boldly insulted me in front of the noble gathering, they were baffled to say the least.

I was not shaken though, I never really thought of myself as a mere pathetic concubine. I never even considered myself as a married woman to be honest, even though Reuben claimed our marriage to be legit I never accepted this marriage from my heart. And I felt if my heart rejected such a union, I shouldn't be forceful towards myself and just go with the flow. So I had always only considered Reuben as a superior and a collaborator. So such insults didn't even make a dent on my self-worth. I only eyed her in disdain as I watched her destroy herself on her own.

"We would love to hear what Count Wroth has to say for himself as well." Alexteris sneered in contempt.

The revolting hog of a man quivered in desolation as he was forced to speak by Lord Xavier. "...Ahhhhgghh! ....I-I didn't, I was the one who desired the Queen. Ugghhh... I.."

"Clodian!!!" The Countess shrieked but she was held back by soldiers summoned by Alexteris.

"I wanted her the moment I saw her. Since Your Majesty can have any amount of women he wants, missing one or two is not really a loss to him, right?" At this moment, Clodian gave up trying to restrain himself as well since he realized he wouldn't be spared anyway.

Well of course he had bad intensions towards me. When I said that the grandson of Countess Wroth was famous, it was indeed a fact. But other than a great dancer, he was also rumoured to be a notorious flirt. But, there was a twist in this infamous rumour. There was an anonymous hushed buzz in the noble society about this young Count for quite a while. It was said that the Count was involved with many prominent ladies, and there was a similarity amongst all of them. Those prominent ladies were all either married or were engaged to be married.