Chapter ♦ 37

Zylith.

"I say my friend," I slung my thin arms around Fredurd's long neck while consequently made him stoop a bit in the process and said with a wide unrestrained smile, "Ashes to Ashes, Dust to dust, when life's in a ditch, booze is a must."

We currently stood in front of a big fancy inn with the name 'Immortal Gnome Brewery' carved beautifully on a posh plank board hung on top of its entrance.

It seemed like a pretty well-to-do inn with lots of customers streaming in and out of the place. I smiled a bit wider as I stared at the lively atmosphere of the street filled with the voices of folk's merrymaking and people who walked as if the ground was the deck of a storm-tossed boat. Each foot came to the sidewalk as if the collision of shoe and concrete wasn't entirely anticipated and the person lurched and stumbled as in turn. The sober ones strode like the only adults in a party of infants, shepherding them to a carriage ride home.

"Ah tonight, I'll be having my favourite drink... it's called 'A lot!'" I muttered mostly to myself rather than to Fredurd beside me.

Fredurd slowly turned his head to gawk at my cheerful expression, "..... Your.... Zeth, the sun is getting real low, I really think it is time for us to return." He mumbled in a small voice.

I in turn, look back at him and said, "My, when did my dearest friend start worrying about the sun and its positionings? I feel that the night is still young."

"No it is not." Fredurd shook his head vehemently, looking as if even if I beat him to death, he was not willing to set one foot into this inn.

"Valued patrons, please step this way. We have all the exotic and scrumptious cuisines and delicacies this nation of Reveldron has to offer. Also recently, we received an export of the best grapesmere wine from the country of Aloria." A not so pleasant gritty jarring voice interrupted our conversation.

Both of us turned to look at the owner of this coarse voice and came face to face with a stunted-height individual who looked enthusiastically at us. "Esteemed customers, please, come this way." He insisted again.

This was a man in his mid-twenties, or so he seemed, though he was not appealing to the eyes, he still treated us, who looked like mere country folks with respect, so I am not going to demean this guy for being ugly.

I smiled kindly at the guy and then looked at Fredurd again, "See? We got great booze just around the corner. What more are you waiting for Fred? Let's head in."

"Si... Zeth, we should not be in a place like this." Stubborn Fredurd shook his head yet again. "I cannot accompany you for drinking."

"And why not? Don't tell me, you've never drank before." I raised a brow.

"Oh, no worries. If honoured gentleman here is not into wine, we accommodate light beverages as well. We can acclimatize to all your needs, gentlemen." The grinning attendant by the door said with a honey-dyed tone, as though he was coaxing children rather than two adult men to do his bidding. No wonder this inn was so popular. When you don't discriminate in this discriminating world, you tend to become diverged from the crowd.

I smiled warmly at the attendant and said to Fredurd, "See? They even have suitable drinks for you. What are you worried about now?" But the stubborn mule still refused to agree.

"How about this? If you come inside and have just one drink with me, I will leave with you right away after that, no qualms, promise. And as a bonus, I will help you win Liana over in no time the moment we are back. Yeah?" I offered in a generous manner.

He seemed to falter at the mention of Liana, and I smirked secretly in turn. Now I knew he was going to indulge me in all my demands. And as expected, he, though reluctantly, finally walked into the Immortal Gnome inn.