Chapter ♦ 49

Zylith.

There is a saying that conceited idiots never learn. And I just found it out to be the absolute truth.

After a few rounds of drinks and a few flattery to boost the sewer rat general's tattered ego, his initial embarrassment gradually disappeared and he, once again seemed to have gained a fresh new life.

"Pardon Your Majesties, I heard that it hasn't even been more than a few months since Her Highness the first Queen has entered the Imperial palace. Since that is the case, are you accustomed to the palace yet?" I couldn't believe the thick skin of General Loghard, after all that humiliation I put him through, he still had the face to speak to me. Sometimes people are just..... unbelievable.

I looked at him in an indifferent manner with only a brow raised.

Hey, just earlier, weren't you making the most pathetic expression ever? Now, just in a blink of an eye, how did your attitude do a 180? You must be scheming something! Trying to pretend to be nice, then scheme behind my back? Haha.... think again!

I gave him a dignified, unstinting smile and said, "Thank you for your concern, great general. Everything is going well at the palace, His Majesty and the Queen Dowager have treated me very kindly since I've entered the palace, I have not felt out of sorts at all. In fact it seems like I'm back at home, just as warm and cosy."

"Oh, my Queen is such an adorable and witty little character, how could I not dote on you." Alexteris added with an affectionate smile, internally giving me goosebumps.

This brat, who had not let even a single opportunity pass him by when it came to fighting with me, was now showing me the most warm-hearted smile one could ever come to encounter on the face of this planet. His eyes looking devoted and his mouth was dripping with zealous lovey-dovey sweet nothings.

I could hardly keep a straight face on as I heard his grimacing words. The thought, 'If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull,' was so pertinent to this bloke right here.

"His majesty and Her Highness are so deeply in love, it really must cause a lot of admiration and envy." Angela Darling, who like a wilted plant just moments ago was perked up and joyfully prattling nonsense under the borrowed courage from the general.

"This peasant has heard that Her Highness is from the province of Ronan. The Ronan province is famed for it's unique culture and arts. The revered First Queen hailing from such a famed place, not to mention the fact of possessing a celestial's beauty, it is only given that Her Highness must've mastered the cultural arts of Ronan. I mean, to receive both His Majesty's and the Queen Dowager's praise and recognition? The First Queen must be a master proficient of all that is to be known about the arts of Ronan." She spoke with an amicable smile plastered to her lips, but I couldn't see the admiration in her eyes.

It was true that Ronan was indeed famous for it's varied cultural practices, but that didn't mean that I was familiar with such practices. I could tell from the songstress's inflaming words that she was trying to push me into a snare.

This bitch was really trying with all her might to trip me. I squinted my eyes at her and thought, 'Don't trying and play games with a girl who can play better, You tramp!'

"Since today is the day of the Noble General's return and many guests of nobility are present, could this peasant presumptuously request Her Highness to exhibit some of her skills, to let us poor peasants who has never seen the world to be graced with the heavenly music of Ronan culture?"

"Heavenly music?" I arched a brow at her provocative rambling.

How could I not see her ugly ambitions? This hussy was clearly trying to get me to perform in public so that she could outperform me with her higher skills in the harp. Now I knew this bitch wasn't here to just seduce other people's husband, but also to try and make a fool out of others! But I didn't look even a bit fazed at her brazen words. After all, these kind of petty tricks were not even worth a consideration in my eyes.