A Change Is Gonna Come

Everly**

Playing musical instruments has been always my hobby since I was a kid. Since then, I created and composed a variety of melody that calms me. I feel so serene and at peace every time I listened to them or every time I play instruments.

My solitary has been disturbed when my brother burst into the studio announcing that he arrived.

Yo Peyton, I am back! Caleb shouted and smiled widely at her sister.

Everly rolls her eyes at him, I can see that. Caleb, you don't need to shout. Your presence alone gives me a headache.

Caleb pouted to his sister while hugging her. You don't miss your only brother?

Of course, I missed my little brother. I commented. How was the tour? I continued.

It is exhausting, but you know how happy I am producing and directing. How was business? He asked back assessing me.

Good, everything is fine. I stated. Why are you looking at me like that? Do you have something to say? I asked him curiously.

The look that my brother giving me right now is exactly the same look when he asked me something about my compositions that I want to keep private. I told him no and he did not bother me anymore regarding that.

I read the newspaper, business section was all about you. Who is this woman? How can she manage an empire? Is she single? Extremely hot to handle. They should put you in the entertainment section, that should be fun. He winked.

You're a moron! I commented. What do you want? I asked him again.

I know you said no before, he started, before he could continue, I cut him off.

And I am saying no to you again, I said in a bored tone.

Hear me out first, Peyton. He pleaded.

There is no way you can change my mind. I replied immediately walking away from him.

Everly Peyton Sterling, please. I am begging you. He shouted. I looked at him with a raised eyebrow. My brother never begs unless it is really important to him.

Ok, talk. I am listening. Glaring at him intently.

He gestures his hands on the chair for me to sit. I shook my head and I told him to just talk and tell me what he wants.

Remember, before I asked you to use your original compositions to be used by one of the well-known artists and you told me no? He stated.

Yes, go on.

Well, I am going to ask you the same thing today. Have you heard about Hayden Henderson? I just looked at him questioningly. Of course not, he continued. I know you want to keep it private, but I think it is time to use your great musical magic. I know you are aware that you are a genius when it comes to creating music and melody right? I don't want to waste such great music and talent of yours.

It is not-

Shhhhhhh!!!!! Why not put great lyrics into your great melody? He finished.

Why would I do that? What is the difference between then and now? I asked him.

Because it is for Hayden Henderson! He stated.

And who is she? I don't even know her? Why is she that important? I asked continuously.

She was my classmate way back in college, we are best of friends that's why. Now, she is a singer. She writes her lyrics. She is a singer and songwriter. Mind you, her lyrics will just blow your mind. Her writings are like poetry that needed a great melody from you. Her previous album was all good and that. In every good song, lyrics alone are not usually enough to create an emotional reaction in the listener. Lyrics need more, it needs to come from melodic contour and harmonic treatment. He finished with one breath.

I don't know. You know it is just a hobby for me. And I don't want my name associated with entertainment. They are all jokes. I sighed.

Eh? Do I look like a joke to you?

Okay, except you, just because you're my brother.

How about we hide you in an alias? Before you reject me again, here are Hayden's draft and a sample of her songs. Just take a look and listen to it at least, please, before you decide. Ok, Peyton?

Fine. I wave dismissively while he handed me a stack of papers and a flash drive.

Yes!! He shouted excitedly, and because of that I will prep our dinner, he continued while running outside from the studio. I sighed again looking at the papers in my hand.

--

Have you ever read a line so descriptively vivid and lifelike that you feel like you lived it yourself?

The writer spends a year fine-tuning the art of knowing exactly which words to use to capture an experience. The lyrics are so emotionally overwhelming that it pushes the discursive and expression that only a good writer can pull off.

I have not learned why music matters most, but I have learned a great deal about the power of voices and lyrics, the limits of language to insist and its power to invoke, and about the mysterious magnetism that passes between an audience and its art. Above all, I have learned that musicians are a superior race. We are lucky to share this planet, or any other, with them.

Why not give it a try, I thought to myself.