One Step Too Far

Everly**

I've never been stressed like this before. With all the meetings, expanding branches, it takes a lot of my time and energy. I am working nonstop. I extremely need a long vacation, I thought to myself.

Still, the gossip circulating around the corner (globe) added more stress to me. Press and media are now living outside my office and keep following me wherever I go asking for the details, of course, I just ignored them pretending they are not existing. If I could just shoot them one by one, I utter. I added extra security in the office and my house; I don't want press roaming secretly in my private properties. They are exhausting. I sighed.

Still having that long face? I was startled when Isabelle suddenly appear in my office. Are you trying to kill me? You almost give me a heart attack. I look at her, with both my hands in my heart.

If you just saw your reaction, Isabelle laughed. Why are you so tense? Will you calm your ass? She added.

Tell me how? When everywhere I go there are media and their camera focusing on my every move. All these years I managed not to leak any of my pictures and my private life online, and now I can see it everywhere even in my dreams with the articles I don't even understand how they manage to twist and turn the story. This is why I don't like to associate myself with a celebrity, see what happened? They are all jokes. Everyone went crazy and will do stupid things just to get information, photos, and other nonsense that could fill their prying eyes. Can they just respect personal privacy? I shook my head.

I agree with you on your sentiment. At least with the joke part, Isabelle said nodding.

Well, thank you. At least someone understands me, I said sarcastically. Why? I asked confused.

Caleb. Isabelle sighed.

What happened to both of you? Are two breaking up again? I asked curiously.

We are not, I don't know as you said, celebrities are jokes. She said frustrated.

Did I mention to you that my brother and Hayden Henderson are best of friends? I said with an awkward smile.

Yes, you did, just now Pey, just now! Isabelle stated rolling her eyes with her best friend. See, as you said, celebrities are nothing but jokes. She added shaking her head but we both laughed afterward.

Why you are here anyway? I asked with a raised eyebrow.

Come on, let's have dinner at your place and invite your girlfriend. Isabelle said in a bored tone.

What? I can't just do that. I argue.

Hey Pey, you owe me. Hand over your phone. Faster, faster! Isabelle commanded.

No! I will not-

I was cut off when Isabelle suddenly grabbed my phone away from me.

I don't have her number. I mumbled.

I already have it, Caleb sent it to me just now. Isabelle smirked.

That conniving brat! I mutter.

Shortly, I heard Hayden talking to the other line.

Hello? Eve, are you there?

Y.. yes, umh hello Monica.

I am glad you call.

Right, ah are.. are you free on Sunday?

Yes, of course, I am. Why?

I.. I would li.. like to invite for dinner at my place. Is it fine with you?

Yes, I love that.

But, some people are coming too. Caleb will be there too.

It's fine Eve. See you on Sunday.

Y.. yes. See you, Monica. B... bye.

I looked at Isabelle who is now about to die because of uncontrollable laughed. You really enjoy this, are you? I looked at her giving her a deadly glare.

Oh, I am. You are too fun to watch Pey. The great and the goddess Everly Peyton Sterling are stuttering while talking to her girlfriend. Isabelle said still laughing hard.

Shut up! I said crossing my hands.

That would be a great headline for news. Isabelle commented putting her hands in her stomach still laughing.

Let's have dinner together, I am starving. I said ignoring her. Let's see what will be the headline tomorrow when they see me with another woman. I added rolling my eyes and Isabelle give her a devilish smile.

--

Hayden**

It seems that the ones we can't have are always the ones we want the most. Everything about it hurts though. That is probably her girlfriend. They look so good together, Hayden thought. Caleb did not mention this. She mutters to herself.

Seeing Everly with someone entering the restaurant holding hands and so close together really hurts my feeling and gives me extreme headaches. Here I am, watching them from afar with all these emotions I can't even control or know what to do with. So I try to hide how I feel which makes it more obvious.

She keeps telling about privacy, and here she is holding hands and being sweet with someone publicly? And the nerve of that girl, who is touchy-feely to Everly. I am annoyed now as I am observing them.

I feel jealous of someone I don't even know. I feel like an idiot having feelings for someone who cares about someone else.

I walk away with my head down going straight to my car and drive my way to Caleb's.

--

As Caleb opened the front door. Why the hell you did not mention that your sister has a girlfriend? I suddenly blurted out.

Eh? Girlfriend? What did I miss?

I saw her having dinner with someone in the restaurant. They looked really in love and all. Eve was always smiling and the other girl always clinging to her. I said trying to hide the fact that I am jealous.

She looks familiar, but I can't remember. Anyway, you will see that for sure in tabloids. As far as I remember, Eve doesn't care if the press was taking photos of them together. I added.

I am totally confused right now. Caleb stated.

Forget it. Why did your sister invite me for dinner then on Sunday?

She did? Caleb asked.

Yes, she also mentioned that you will be there too.

Am I? Caleb asked again, confused.

Caleb, stop answering me like you're questioning all I've said. You know what, forget what I've said. Can I crash here for tonight?

Sure, no problem. Caleb commented still looking confused.

Not every love story ends like a fairy tale. Sometimes, they end up in love with someone else. And our story didn't even start, yet, it ends like that. I sighed and then slowly my eyes closed.