Chapter 22 - Something fishy

The whole school waits in tension for the football team to run through the banner and on to the field. I clasp my shiny pom-poms together and look up at the cloudless night sky, praying for a win.

“Here they come!” Alyssa yells in my ear and we roar with anticipation. The football team charges through the banner and runs to face the other team. The coach blows his whistle and the game begins. We start our chants and put up and few stunts, but I am getting bored by half time. Tanner runs over to me, his hair and face dripping with sweat so I chuck him a towel and I bottle of ice water.

“How am I playing then?” He asks.

“Not bad I guess.” I laugh.

“Hey, come on, I am amazing!” he exaggerates. I give him a playful shoves then here the cheer coach call me over.

“Right, the cheerleaders are going to be showing off some of their tumbling skills for us!” The principal yells through the megaphone. We all crowd at the end of the field and, somehow I get pushed to the front to go first. I take a breath then run, throwing my most complicated pass. Roundoff, double back handspring, whip, whip double. I land it perfectly and the crowd goes crazy. I bite my lip and wave to everyone, milking it for all it’s worth. Alyssa and Kaitlyn soon join me after their passes and we start some cheers to get the crowd ready for the second half.

We have had almost double the points of the other team for the whole game so we are starting to get a bit cocky. We all dance and make fun of the other team, just for the crowds entertainment. When the whistle blows for the end I run out and find Tanner who picks me up and kisses me.

“I told you I was good.” He laughs as we kiss. Someone taps me on the shoulder and I hear Kaitlyn’s voice.

“C’mon lovebirds, we are going to get food.”

We walk out of the school gates and down the road until we come to a stop outside a café. It is dimly lit inside so we cannot tell if it is open or not.

“Open Mondays to Fridays, eight till seven.” Hayes reads a sign off the door. It’s Friday, the day before we leave for Greensboro, so we push open the heavy door and find a table.

We sit on a giant circle table in the desolate restaurant and discuss the game. I sit with my head in my hands and, when a waitress comes, let Tanner order lemonade for me. I look down to the floor when all of a sudden I see Hayes’ big blue eyes in line with mine.

“You okay?” he looks concerned.

“Yeah I guess. I’m tired.” I lift back up on to the table and we chat.

“Are you excited for tomorrow?” He says brightly.

“Yeah, I can’t wait to see the guys again.”

“What guys.” Tanner suddenly joins our conversation nosily.

“Um, some friends of Hayes and I’s…” I say bluntly.

“Oh.”

“Anyway, we have a room across the hall from you and Nash. We can totally party all night long!” I say and he grins.

“Yeah, I’ll bring the chips and you bring the dip.” He jokes and I giggle. I look across the table and see Megan glaring at me and Hayes. When she sees me looking her face automatically sweetens up. There is something fishy about that girl…