Chapter 21 - The day keeps getting better

I pull out my hairtie and throw myself on the bed, ready to facetime Tanner.

“Hey!” I say once he picks up.

“Hey, how was cheer?” He asks.

“Tiring.” I yawn, covering my mouth and falling back on my bed.

“Well don't get too tired cos there's a football game tomorrow.” He reminds me.

“Oh my god.” I gasp, remembering I have to pick up my uniform from the dry cleaners.

“What?”

“I need to get my uniform from the dry cleaners.”

“It's like six o'clock. Will it be open?”

“I hope so.” I pray to myself. “Molly?” I yell down the stairs.

“What?”

“Drive me to the cleaners.”

“Magic word?” She says through a mouth of some type of food.

“Please, abracadabra, open sesame. Hurry up!” I yell.

“Fine but you owe me.

“I'll buy you cheeseballs now hurry.”

We pull up outside the dry cleaners and I run through the door.

“We are almost closing.” The fat old woman says to me in a southern drawl.

“Please I need to get my uniform.”

“Fine.” She goes into the back room and brings out my uniform in pristine condition.

“Thank you so, so much.” I breath out. I hand her a twenty dollar bill and go back outside. I sigh and hug my uniform to my chest.

“Hey.” A voice from in front of me makes me jump in fright. I look up to see Tanner.

“What are you doing here?” I ask curiously.

“I came to see my fave girl silly.” He smiles and walk to embrace me.

“I hope I am your only girl.” I say giggling as he pulls me to him and I nestle in his warm hoodie. Over his shoulder I can just about see Molly in the car so I signal to her to tell her to go home. I pull out my phone and sneakily send her a text saying I will catch a bus or something. She drives away and we are left hugging under the warm glow of the street light.

“I’m hungry.” I whisper in his ear and he rolls his eyes.

“Shall we go get pancakes or something.” He looks at his watch and then, grabbing on to my hand, leads me towards a little diner on the opposite side of the street. We go inside and sit in a little circle table in a corner. An overly happy waitress gives us a menu each and we skim through until we find a picture of a stack of maple syrup pancake.

“These ones please.” Tanner tells the waitress. She writes down our order and then skips back to the kitchen.

“So.”

“So?” I reply to the single word that wafted past his lips. He smiles and I can’t help but hide my face in my hands. I hear the doorbell ring and footsteps echo through the practically empty building.

“Hey guys!” Tanner says and I look up to find Hayes and Megan standing beside our table.

“Sit down!” I say brightly and they pull up two chairs next to us.