Chapter 1 - Missing the boy

"Wake up Sophie!" My sister, Molly, shakes my shoulder and I wake from my sleep.

"Urghhh?" I groan and she laughs.

"Come on only a day left of school and then it's summer!" She smiles brightly however I can't help but feel sad. This is my first summer without my best friend. Hayes. He and his brother Nash left months ago to go on tour with a group of boys known as Magcon. I am sad, not only because I miss him, but because we used to spend nearly every day of summer together. Hanging out at the lake, going to the mall or just chilling at each others houses. I sigh. My phone buzzes and there is and update on his twitter.

"More fans from last night!" The photo is captioned and I see he has uploaded a selfie of him and some girls. I sigh again and Molly stares at me.

"You okay?" She asks.

"Yeah I guess."

"You miss Nash and Hayes don't you?" She asks and I nod. She grins like she knows something but I ignore her. At least I have her to go shopping with. Some people hate having an older sister but me and Molly are as thick as thieves. She buys me Starbucks so why wouldn't we be close?

"Get up I made you your cereal and everything. Mom already went out." She drags me downstairs and I slump at the breakfast counter. I begin to feed myself and then, when I am done, I put my bowl in the sink.

When I am in my room again I put on my outfit I laid out the night before. A white crop top, acid wash shorts and my black converse. I accesorize with a cute gold necklace and a few bracelets. I clip on my friendship bracelet from Hayes. I still remember the day in fifth grade when he gave it to me.

It was my birthday and we were sitting on his porch watching the fireflies flying lazily in the summer night sky, our favourite thing to do. We were talking about what it would be like to be a firefly and all of a sudden he pulled out the little cardboard container with the shiny ribbon. I gasped and he took it out and clipped it around my wrist.

"Promise we will always be best friends." He said and held out his pinky.

"Promise." I replied and we locked pinkies.

I breath out heavily. He hasn't even been gone half a year but it feels like forever. I just can't wait to see him again. I begin to curl my caramel brown hair into loose waves until it is perfect. I don't know why I am trying so hard to look good; there isn't even any nice boys at my school. Hayes was the nicest boy I have ever known and even he has left.