Chapter 10 - Back to school

“Sophie.”

“Sophie?”

“Sophie, get up now before I whoop yo ass!” Molly shouts through the keyhole. I groan, wondering why she is waking me up so early. Then I remember. School. I throw my cushion off the bed and roll out of bed.

The rest of summer was so boring. Kaitlyn, Alyssa, me and a few others ended up just going to the mall a few times and that was it. I basically slept through the rest of it. After what Hayes – I'm guessing it was him anyway – said to me at the lake I didn't want to see anyone; I was too in shock.

I eat my breakfast then trek back upstairs to get ready. I pick out my outfit; a black cropped jumper, black ripped jeans and my tan boots, then do my natural makeup. Then shove my pencil case and binder into my school bag then walk downstairs where Molly is waiting.

“You look gross.” She says sarcastically and I groan, not needing her sarcasm at the moment. I see her roll her eyes as she unlocks the car and I grimace at her.

We roll into school ten minutes later and the crowds are huge. Little freshman walk nervously past our car – I cannot believe I was one of them this time last year - and Molly shouts at them to move. I get out, slamming the car door, and storm towards school, not even saying goodbye to Molly. School makes me crazy.

I head to homeroom then, when I get in the door, sit in an empty seat between Alyssa and Kaitlyn. A few minutes later Miss Panero strides in, her heels clicking loudly on the floor. She slams her book on the desk and we all shut up.

“She looks mad.” Alyssa says, making me laugh. Miss Panero sees me and furrows her brow.

“Sophie stand up.” She orders and I stand up, as stiff as a pole.

“Now, seeing as you are distubing the class already, switch with... Noah.” I look to where Noah is sitting and I see, to my luck, Hayes sitting to his right.

“Miss do I have to?” I moan.

“Yes. Now move.” She shouts and I roll my eyes before swinging my bag over my shoulder and walking over to the desk. Noah smiles at me and I return one but I frown when I see Hayes. I sit down and slouch in my seat. I see Hayes lean over and I turn and look at him.

“Well, what a surprise...” He says and I scowl at him. This year is going to be hell.

We have to rush to cheer after Molly and I get home. I fling on my practise gear, tie my hair up and rub off my makeup, before grabbing my backpack and running to the car. Molly is already seated and is pulling on her sweatpants and trainers when I get in.

“I hope we don't have to start conditioning straight away.” I say. If we do I will surely die of exhaustion. Kayla, our coach, always makes us condition for at least an hour during each practise and we all come out dead at the end.

“I don't want to be sore for cheer tryouts at school tomorrow.” I moan.

We get to the gym half an hour later (as cheer is very far away) and run into the main gym to greet everyone. When I walk in, Madison, my cheer bestie, runs over and hugs me.

“Where were you all summer?” She squeals and I hug her back as we walk over to the place where we leave our bags.

“Omg that was my worst summer.”

“Tell me about it. I just broke up with Shane.” She wails about her ex boyfriend. We sit down beside the others and chat about what happened over the vacation.

“Right up, time to run!” Kayla yells and we all moan and groan. Kayla makes us do two mile jogs around the perimeter of the gym before we actually practise (and before the hell of conditioning).

I jog outside with Madison and we gossip as we gently run.

“Omg did you hear about Bailee? She, y'know, did it with some boy.”

“Really?” I turn round to look at Bailee Smith, one of the flyers on the team. She smiles sweetly at me and I raise my eyebrow.

“But... but she's too Bailee...” I say.

When we are back inside the gym and have conditioned we begin to work on a stunt section for the routine. I am placed with McKenna, Andrea and Lucy. Lucy is one of the most skilled flyers on the team so we should expect to be placed in the centre for most of the routine. Kayla tells us to practise all the basic stunts so we put Lucy in the air and she pulls a perfect needle. After the stunts we stretch our body positions and, as if by magic, I pull a near perfect needle.

“Wow Sophie, keep that up and you could be a flyer.” Kayla says, making me blush.