Chapter 50 - Just my luck

"Mom!" I yell as I walk through the front door. Molly flings her keys into the dish in the hallway and we wander into the kitchen. Mom is sitting on the chair, her hand up to her mouth, smiling ecstatically.

"What is it?" I whisper and she holds a finger up. I pretend to zip my mouth then grab a juice pouch out of the cupboard. I sit on the chair next to her until, finally, she hangs up.

"What's the haps?" Moly asks through a mouthful of a cinnamon roll. I grab a bite sneakily and she rolls her eyes.

"Elizabeth just called. Hayes is waking up!" She says and I scream ecstactically. Molly hugs me and we squeal.

"Can we go see him when he is at home?" I ask and moms face falls.

"I have some unexpected news." She says quietly. I know what is coming. "Your grandmother rang earlier and she needs us to go down to Florida for the weekend." I frown when I hear the news but try to smile when mom nitces my face.

"We are flying out tomorrow." Mom says and Molly and I nod uniformly.

"hey it's just a weekend and then you can see him." Molly reassures me. I try to smile but after all this time wating a weekend will surely kill me. Mom tells me to get a suitcase packed for the flight leaves in the morning so I run up and drag my pink case from the closet.

I pull out underwear, socks and a bunch of shirts and pants. I stuff two pairs of sneakers in aswell then zip it up tight. Checking the forecast for Boca Raton and shove a jacket into my handheld. I unplug all my cords and stuff my laptop and headphones into the same bag. When I am done I fall back onto my bed with my phone. Well, not my phone but an old iPhone 4 borrowed from dad. No messages have come through apart from a single likes on an old photo on Instagram. I go on to the app and have my daily scroll through everyones accounts.

"Boring. Boring. Ughh. Hello gorgeous (Zayn Malik's recent selfie obviously) Boring. Boring. Boringgggggg." I push the home button and suddenly a phone call comes through. Nash.

"Hey" I say brightly.

"Sup. Guess you heard about Hayes?" He says.

"Yeah. I'm so happy." I say.

"Come by the hospital tomorrow?"

"I've... I'm going to my grandmother's for the weekend. Just my luck." I sigh.

"Don't worry. I'll tell him where you are at." He says and then offers an excuse to go. I hang up.

...

The flight is leaving at eight o'clock sharpish so mom wakes me up with a shake at five. The time on my bedside table flashes in bright blue and I roll over groaning. I finally manage to drag myself out at quarter past and pull on the clothes I laid out last night. I pull on a pair of fluffy socks and my Ugg's over the top. Running down the stairs with my two bags, I sldie into the kitchen and shove a croissant in my mouth. Molly teases me half-heartedly, her eyes tired and her hair matted.

Mom drags us out of the house at the half past and a taxi arrives to take us to the airport. We hurtle down the empty street and I fall asleep ten minutes into the ride. When I wake we are turning into the lay-by outside the airport. The car stops and I drag myself out to get the case. I follow mom and Molly towards the line to drop our bags and we get behind a crowd of tourists.

We finally get to the front of the line and a security guard ushers us down to the desk at the end. A sour faced old woman sits and orders us to put the bag on the conveyor belt. She asks mom a few questions which she answers prim and properly in her voiced saved for important people, then tags our bags and scans our boarding passes.

"Where are you flying today?" She asks sullenly, obviously being forced to ask this question to every passenger.

"Boca Raton." Mom answers and smiles. The lady keeps her poker face then hands us our boarding passes.

"Have a nice flight."

We get to the waiting area after nearly an hour of lining up for the scanners and I flop on to the first free seat I spot. Feeling the fatigue set in, I rest my head on the seat and begin to drift asleep.

"All passengers boarding flight 84AAW to Boca Raton please got to gate 23." An announcer plays over the tannoy as I begin to wake up.

"Mom? That's us isn't it?" I say and she nods. We get up and weave our way through the mass of people until we get to another waiting area, I look out of the window to see a huge airplane, bags being piled in the side. I look for my pink suitcase and spot it being piled in after a black one which must be moms and Molly's purple one. Passengers are starting to g through to get on the flight so Molly pulls me up and I follow her to the end of the line.

As we get on the airplane and get seated I plug in my music. I zone out for a while until a flight attendant appears at my side and tells me to switch my phone off. I sigh, turn it off and shove it into my bag. Half listening to the announcements, I fiddle with my belt and kick off my shoes. The seatbelt sign flicks on and we begin to roll out of the terminal. On the runway I begin to get nervous as the plane starts to rumble and increases the speed. Molly grips my hand and I close my eyes until we are zooming through the clouds.