Chapter 13 - Over again

"Sophie?”

I blink my eyes open and see I am in an unfamiliar room. Then I recognise it; the nurses office. Kaitlyn, Alyssa and, strangely, Hayes are above me.

“What happened?” I am confused; I only remember... Hayes and Megan.

“You kinda fainted... y'know when you saw...”

“I know. I remember now.” I say abruptly, looking at Hayes. I catch him staring and he quickly looks away.

“Hayes, I need to talk to the girls please.”

“Oh... okay. See you later then.” I watch him go out of the door then sit up on the bed I was lying in.

“I don't know how to say this but... I think I like Hayes.” I blurt it out and they stare in shock. Alyssa evens gasps and covers her mouth.

“After everything?” Kaitlyn questions me.

“I can't help it. He was my best friend for years. I don't want to let it all go to waste.”

“I guess so...”

“Please don't tell him.”

“I promise I won't.

“Me too.”

“Why didn't you tell me about Megan?”

“We thought you should find out yourself. In case you... reacted badly.” Kaitlyn says. The nurse come back in and shoos them to class.

“Miss can I go now?”

“No you keep yourself right here Miss Sophie.” She says and hands me an ice pack for where I hit my head. I have spent quite a lot of time in this room so she is used to me coming in with a black eye or a gash.

I walk into Spanish half an hour late and everyone is staring at the bruise on my temple.

“Sophie, el favor de sentarse en su silla.” Senora Marquez motions to my desk and chair so I sit down, pretending to understand what she is saying. She goes back to teaching so I sit back and blank out what she is saying.

Senora Marquez slaps my test paper from last lesson back on my desk and I stare at the letter circled in red.

“D?” I exclaim and the whole class turns to me. “Senora I did so much work for this test. Why have I got a D?”

“Your 'work' isn't really showing in your tests Sophie. More revision please.” She says bluntly, so I ignore her.

“Sophie?” I hear a voice whispering to me and turn and see Hayes looking at me.

“What?”

“I need... I need to speak to you.” he motions to talk after class so, for the rest of the lesson, I sit worrying about what he wants.

“What do you want Hayes?” I say, when we are let out of class.

“Look, it's pointless not being friends. I am truly sorry about everything.”

“Hayes...”

“Sophie, our families are like best friends. It's just going to be awkward if we carry on like this.”

“I don't know Hayes...”

“Sophie, c'mon.”

“Just answer me this. How do you know Megan?”

“She's a family friend. She and her mom had to move here because her parents go a divorce. Please don't take it out on her; she doesn't know about... our history.”

“Hayes, there's no history.”

“C'mon. Please, I don't wanna always be rude to you. I don't feel like it's right.” I take a deep breath hearing this, a million thoughts running through my mind. Should I? Shouldn't I? He stares at me, into my soul it feels like, and finally I give in.

“Fine.” I hold up my hands I defeat and he laughs.

“Thank you. Now,” he holds up a pinky finger, “best friends again?”

“Whatever.” I laugh and roll my eyes at him, whilst he grabs my pinky.

“Hayes! Sophie!” Megan comes running over, and I realise how oblivious she is to everything. Hayes picks her up, his smile wider then I have ever seen it, and kisses her; I have to look away. I want to feel happy for Hayes but something still doesn't feel right...