Chapter 27 - Revealed

The music pounds through the speakers and I throw my double back handspring to start the routine. The crowd of family and friends goes mental, yelling our names and screaming their lungs out. I go crazy, my facial expressions mad and my movement are sharp and clean. I am in the zone now. We glide through the routine without a single stumble and at the end the crowd goes crazy. We watch the other routines from the gym then I go to meet the others outside when it is done.

Alyssa and Kaitlyn run over and shower me with praise. I laugh and do a couple of poses jokingly then we head over to the others.

"That was so sick!" Noah laughs and tries to fist bump me. I accept and do the same with Kyle. I turn around and see Tanner and Hayes standing side by side. I want to go t Hayes but I know I have to go to Tanner. I pull Tanner into a hug and he kisses the top of my head. I sigh and look over his shoulder to see Hayes standing by himself. I want to pull him into one of his familiar hugs but I know I can't. He looks so lost between the crowds of cheerleaders and I try to see where he is looking. Then I hear a car door slams. I pull away from Tanner and see Megan jumping out of the car. I frown at her and cross my arms over my uniform.

"What's she doing here?" I mumble as the others walk towards her. She runs into Hayes' arms, like I did on his first day back and I feel another pang of something I can't quite put a finger on. Jealousy, anger, I can't tell.

"Sorry I'm late Soph! Have you performed your little routine yet?" She laughs light-heartedly and I can't help but want to slap her as she stresses the word "little" in her sentence. I force out a little laugh and raise an eyebrow defiantly. She sees my look and I see her shrink back slightly, still holding Hayes' arm.

"Anyway are you guys coming back to mine?" She turns to the others who nod in agreement.

"What about me?" I ask and she turns back to me.

"Well there's no space in my car." She points to the shiny black model parked on the curb.

"Sophie your sister could bring you." Hayes suggests and I nod a quick whatever at them both.

When they have all got in Megan's car I order Molly to take me to her house.

"Why?" She questions but I tell her to step on it. We pull into Megan's road not ten minutes later (after I get directions from Hayes by text) and slowly drive down, looking for her house number. I notice all the buildings are gorgeous mansions with high hedges around the front gardens. I spot number fifteen — her house — and hop out of the car. I wave goodbye to Molly then run to the door. I look at myself in the reflection of the door and realise I am still in uniform, sweaty hair plastered to my face.

"Hello?" A tall, thin woman has answered the door. She has blonde curls and is wearing white jeans and a blouse, obviously a designer brand. She eyes up my cheer uniform and gives me a funny look.

"Are you here for Megan?" She asks with a sneer in her voice.

"Yeah. She invited me over."

"They're in the other room."" She says sharply and points to a door down the corridor. I step gingerly in the house and walk in the direction she pointed. I stop when I hear voices coming in my direction. I shrink back behind a potted plant and watch as Megan and Tanner stop near me. They aren't aware of my presence so I watch and listen to everything.

"Quickly before Sophie gets here." Megan hisses. She pulls Tanner into her but the plant hides the rest of what happens. I gasp, taking the implication, and feel a tear fall down my cheek.