Chapter 9 - The lake party

As I walk down the dirt path to the lake, I can already hear music booming through the trees. Alyssa and I came together and now we are trying to navigate our way through the dense forest surrounding the lake.

“We should have stuck to the path Sophie.”

“I thought you knew the way.” I complain, picking stray leaves out of my hair.

“Ugh, I just want to party and see cute boys. Is that to much to ask?” Alyssa says and I laugh at her pained expression.

Finally, after a good ten minutes of walking we arrive at the lake, the party in full swing.

“Sophie! Alyssa!” Kaitlyn squeals, dragging Noah along.

“Omg it looks amazing!” I say, pointing to the two giant trampolines floating on the lake. I see everyone is in their swimsuits so we strip off and follow Kaitlyn to the drinks. She hands us a cup of punch each and I look around to see who is here.

“The whole grade must be here!” I say astonishedly. A few boys from school come to talk to us and I try to flirt a bit, to take my mind off Hayes. Suddenly, someone bashes hard into my shoulder.

“Hey, look where your going!” I turn around and she Hayes and Kyle, laughing like little kids.

“Alright, calm down Sophie.” Hayes says and I throw him a dirty look before going back to flirting with the boys. They crowd around us and I see Hayes across the group, staring straight at me. I give him another dirty look then toss my head so he knows I don't want anything to do with him.

Hours later – or so it feels – a group of us are sat in a circle on the jetty. It is getting dark now and we are huddling together, gossiping about random people. Hayes is sat on the other side so I ignore him, not even looking his way.

“Oh my god. We should, like, totally play dares!” Kaitlyn says and we all go wide eyed with excitement.

“You get one first then Kaitlyn!” Noah laughs.

“Fine then. What do I have to do?” She says carelessly.

“Jump off the big cliff.” I say, raising a few gasps from the group.

“Okay.” She gets up, runs into the forest and, a few minutes later appears at the top of the cliff.

“Ready?” She yells.

“Go!” I shout and she jumps off the cliff, falling down to the lake beneath her. She lands with a splash and seconds later her head bursts to the surface.

“How was that?” She says when she gets back to us.

“You looked so funny.” Alyssa says, giggling. We go back to the dares, giving each other dirtier and dirtier ones until it gets to me.

“I dare you... to kiss Hayes!” Alyssa says, naïve to what has happened.

“Really?” We say in unison but the group forces us to. We walk to each other then, holding our breath, quickly peck on the lips. I feel my heart beating fast, like on the wheel, but I push the feeling away. I see his face is twisted in disgust so I curl my mouth and turn my back on him.

The rest of the night I am in a sulk, ignoring whatever anyone says to me.

“Sophie, come swim in the lake.” Kaitlyn asks so I trudge down to the shore with them. We submerge ourselves in the warm waters, and they ramble on about Kyle and Noah.

“Noah kissed me.”

“Omg me and Kyle were like holding hands. Do you think he likes me?” I listen to them carry on, until suddenly fireworks whizz up in the sky, causing us all to scream.

“Woah!” I say as I watch the bright colours fly in the sky. Whilst I watch the fireworks I suddenly feel someones presence beside me. Alyssa and Kaitlyn are in front of me so it isn't them; I can feel the persons breath on my ear now. Then I hear their voice.

“Thanks for the kiss.”