Chapter 12 - New arrival

I get back to school, not to a warm welcome from my friends, but to news that some new girl has joined. Kaitlyn and Alyssa drag me over to meet her.

“Are you guys best friends with her or something?”

“We just made friends with her to be nice okay. She sits near you in homeroom.” Alyssa tells me as they drag me towards her. The first thing I notice is that she is really pretty. She has long, chocolate brown hair and dark, doe-like eyes, framed by fluttery eyelashes

“This is Sophie. We told her about you!” They seem nervous as they introduce me to her but I brush it off and lightly hug her, trying to be nice.

“Hey! I am Megan!” She says, in a soft southern accent. We walk to homeroom together and I start a conversation with her.

“Where are you from then?”

“Austin, Texas.” She says shyly, blinking at me through her eyelashes. A few boys walk in to homeroom and they all drool over her.

“Wow, that's a long way then.”

“Yeah, my dad just got a new job so we had to move. I'm sorry I am being so nosy but how come I haven't seen you around school before today?”

“Oh, after cheer tryouts I kind of... started a fight with a boy and I got excluded for a couple of days. But I've had worse. No biggie.”

“Wait, cheerleading? I cheered for my old school back home. I would love to join!”

“Well the team has already been picked but you could speak to the coach...” We discuss cheerleading until Miss Panero walks in.

“Good morning class. Nice to see you again Megan!” She says cheerfully. I notice Hayes isn't in his seat.

“Where is Hayes?” Miss asks and Noah tells her he is at a meeting with his manager. I roll my eyes at this comment and Miss Panero sees.

“Sophie I suggest, if you want to make a good start after your little break, you should keep your words to yourself and stop that horrific eye rolling.” She says and I take a deep breath to stop myself from yelling out at her.

When it gets to lunch, Kaitlyn, Alyssa, myself and Megan head to the canteen. I pick up a salad, a cake and a bottle of water then we join the boys at the lunch table.

“Megan do you know when Hayes is getting in?” Kyle asks her.

“He told me half twelve.” She says clearly. This seems strange because, as far as I know, they don't really know each other. I see Alyssa and Kaitlyn looking awkward.

“Is there something you want to tell me?” I ask Kaitlyn but she shakes her head and goes back to eating. I get out of my seat, telling my friends I have to use the bathroom, then go to trail round the school. I sit on a bench outside, taking in my surroundings and trying not to think about why my best friends are suddenly acting so awkward.

...

“Sophie!” Alyssa's shrill voice wakes me up from my day dream.

“Come on, we need to go to homeroom now!” Kaitlyn orders me and they drag me to the lockers so I can retrieve my books. Alyssa is motioning to Kaitlyn so I turn and suddenly I see why they have been acting so strange around me. Hayes is lifting up Megan, kissing her. I feel my cheeks burn bright red and I fall back against the locker. Black.